Jul 23, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
A lot of us have ranted and raved at and mocked the Diamondbacks in the past year or so, but that doesn’t really get anyone anywhere. What does is actual information. Nick Piecoro has some real information today in the form of an excellent column that notes the team’s lack of success with their pitchers. Specifically, how good pitchers who come to Arizona tend to do poorly, seemingly poor pitchers who leave Arizona tend to do well and seemingly poor pitchers who stay in Arizona don’t seem to improve.
He talks to Kevin Towers about it and Towers doesn’t necessarily have great answers for that. In one instance — Brandon McCarthy and the whole cutter controversy — he seems to have a somewhat ill-informed answer. It’s a must-read.
There is a good chance that change will be coming to Arizona soon. Tony La Russa is on the scene now and many suspect that Towers isn’t long for his job. Kirk Gibson too for that matter. If those changes to come, observations like Piecoro’s will likely be key in the decisions that put such change into effect.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)