Jul 23, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
A lot of us have ranted and raved at and mocked the Diamondbacks in the past year or so, but that doesn’t really get anyone anywhere. What does is actual information. Nick Piecoro has some real information today in the form of an excellent column that notes the team’s lack of success with their pitchers. Specifically, how good pitchers who come to Arizona tend to do poorly, seemingly poor pitchers who leave Arizona tend to do well and seemingly poor pitchers who stay in Arizona don’t seem to improve.
He talks to Kevin Towers about it and Towers doesn’t necessarily have great answers for that. In one instance — Brandon McCarthy and the whole cutter controversy — he seems to have a somewhat ill-informed answer. It’s a must-read.
There is a good chance that change will be coming to Arizona soon. Tony La Russa is on the scene now and many suspect that Towers isn’t long for his job. Kirk Gibson too for that matter. If those changes to come, observations like Piecoro’s will likely be key in the decisions that put such change into effect.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 21
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)