Jul 24, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Dan Haren finished last season strong for the Nationals, signed a one-year, $10 million deal with the Dodgers this offseason, and got off to a nice start in Los Angeles.
However, since June 1 he has a 6.04 ERA in 10 starts and has served up 13 homers in 52 innings, which is why the Dodgers are seemingly thinking about dumping the 33-year-old former All-Star from the rotation. His being 58 innings short of triggering a $15 million option for 2015 is also a big factor.
Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles reports that Haren’s turn in the rotation will be skipped at least once, meaning he won’t start again before August 2, and between Josh Beckett‘s impending return from the disabled list and the July 31 trade deadline arriving next week he might be out of a job altogether.
When asked about Haren’s status, manager Don Mattingly gave a non-answer:
Danny has kept us in a lot of games. The last couple haven’t been great. Again, now is not the time to sit here and discuss Danny’s next start or his future or anything else.
Even if Haren sticks in the rotation for now there’s no way the Dodgers will want to be on the hook for $15 million on him next season, so something will change down the stretch.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)