Jul 24, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
Dan Haren finished last season strong for the Nationals, signed a one-year, $10 million deal with the Dodgers this offseason, and got off to a nice start in Los Angeles.
However, since June 1 he has a 6.04 ERA in 10 starts and has served up 13 homers in 52 innings, which is why the Dodgers are seemingly thinking about dumping the 33-year-old former All-Star from the rotation. His being 58 innings short of triggering a $15 million option for 2015 is also a big factor.
Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles reports that Haren’s turn in the rotation will be skipped at least once, meaning he won’t start again before August 2, and between Josh Beckett‘s impending return from the disabled list and the July 31 trade deadline arriving next week he might be out of a job altogether.
When asked about Haren’s status, manager Don Mattingly gave a non-answer:
Danny has kept us in a lot of games. The last couple haven’t been great. Again, now is not the time to sit here and discuss Danny’s next start or his future or anything else.
Even if Haren sticks in the rotation for now there’s no way the Dodgers will want to be on the hook for $15 million on him next season, so something will change down the stretch.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)