Jul 24, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
Dan Haren finished last season strong for the Nationals, signed a one-year, $10 million deal with the Dodgers this offseason, and got off to a nice start in Los Angeles.
However, since June 1 he has a 6.04 ERA in 10 starts and has served up 13 homers in 52 innings, which is why the Dodgers are seemingly thinking about dumping the 33-year-old former All-Star from the rotation. His being 58 innings short of triggering a $15 million option for 2015 is also a big factor.
Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles reports that Haren’s turn in the rotation will be skipped at least once, meaning he won’t start again before August 2, and between Josh Beckett‘s impending return from the disabled list and the July 31 trade deadline arriving next week he might be out of a job altogether.
When asked about Haren’s status, manager Don Mattingly gave a non-answer:
Danny has kept us in a lot of games. The last couple haven’t been great. Again, now is not the time to sit here and discuss Danny’s next start or his future or anything else.
Even if Haren sticks in the rotation for now there’s no way the Dodgers will want to be on the hook for $15 million on him next season, so something will change down the stretch.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)