Jonathan Papelbon to Phillies fans: Bring on the boos

Jul 24, 2014, 11:18 PM EST

201b75e51f895253777b6c9537344e55 Getty Images

After blowing a save on Monday and taking a loss on Tuesday, Jonathan Papelbon was greeted with boos from Phillies fans before he took the mound in the ninth inning this afternoon against the Giants. He threw a perfect inning to lock down his 24th save of the season and told reporters after the game that the boos didn’t bother him. In fact, he says bring it on.

Here’s a sampling of Papelbon’s comments courtesy of Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com:

“I enjoy it,” he said. “I just think that it’s fun. It just brings a little bit of energy and life to the park and gives me a little bit of something to look forward to do every day.”

Papelbon regretted that only half the ballpark booed him.

“I heard some of them,” he said. “But that’s it? Maybe we can get the whole park going here soon.”

Is that a threat? In all seriousness, I appreciate Papelbon embracing his heel persona and having fun with it. 16-time World Champion Ric Flair would be proud.

Here’s video of Papelbon’s comments:

1. skerney - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:21 PM

When Papelbon calls his mother, she lets it go to voicemail.

• dan1111 - Jul 25, 2014 at 4:11 AM

And he says “Let it go to voicemail. In fact, I’m disappointed you haven’t changed your number without telling me”.

• realgone2 - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Winner!

2. charlie2254 - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM

@ skerney

Lol well done

3. sabatimus - Jul 25, 2014 at 12:16 AM

booze*

4. ramblingalb - Jul 25, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Pro wrestling reference? Heh. Painfully out of touch.

• mj2sexay - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:34 AM

Ric Flair references don’t expire until the end of time because diamond are forever, and so is Ric Flair. Wooo!

• ptfu - Jul 25, 2014 at 6:50 AM

5. edelmanfanclub - Jul 25, 2014 at 12:35 AM

My favorite closer when I was in high school. He never knows when to shut up though.

6. pisano - Jul 25, 2014 at 1:00 AM

He was hated in Boston, and I’m sure he’s hated in Philly, the guy seems like a dick.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Seems like?

• 18thstreet - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM

You know what? I like having some villains in sports. It makes it more fun.

The other thing about Papelbon? He seemed INCREDIBLY stupid. I’m glad he’s around.

7. xmatt0926x - Jul 25, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Just listen to him speak. There’s something very vacant about him.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 25, 2014 at 6:27 AM

8. corky2141 - Jul 25, 2014 at 2:56 AM

In all seriousness, did anybody notice how tiny his protective cup was sitting behind him in the video. No wonder he’s so mad

9. tuberippin - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:18 AM

Million dollar arm, ten-cent brain. Dude has an inferiority complex and a serious need for attention.

10. whatacrocker - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:36 AM

More blather from Tamplepon…

11. joeyb3878 - Jul 25, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Paps is basically begging to be traded, although a loss following a blown save which lead to a loss ain’t helping his cause.

12. mungman69 - Jul 25, 2014 at 5:23 AM

Yes, he’s a dick. What can you do?

13. lpd1964 - Jul 25, 2014 at 5:31 AM

Papelboob

14. don444 - Jul 25, 2014 at 5:53 AM

The clownish closer with the Dickensian name is immature and often childishly confrontational, but hey, that’s just who he is as a person.

15. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 25, 2014 at 6:31 AM

As someone who detests him – I really can’t rip him on this one….the whole interview was so odd. I saw it last night on CSN, and the folks there thought it was funny. I mostly thought it was bizarre….and made up as he went along….and really, I think he wanted to launch into one of his “Whoa is me, these fans are jerks!” speeches, but he thought better of it.

Worthy of note – he also said in the same interview that he really, really will be sad if he is traded, because he will miss his pen-mates. So….if you take his word that he likes the boos, then you have to take his word that he wants to stay in Philly. Hah!

Some PR person got a hold of him and told him to make the nice-nice for the next week, and this was his weak attempt to do so.

16. mungman69 - Jul 25, 2014 at 6:47 AM

I can’t believe that some team out there wouldn’t (would?) take a chance on him. The Phillies have to eat some salary but they’ve gotta move him. It’s time to look at Giles, Diekman and the others. This Philly team ain’t goin nowhere.

17. leerosenthall - Jul 25, 2014 at 1:22 PM

He has to be too smart to come across this dumb in interviews, doesn’t he? Regardless, I can’t be the only person who wouldn’t be surprised if they found a bunch of bodies buried in his backyard.

18. gymtruthteller - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM

TOOL

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5739)
  2. M. Kemp (3227)
  3. J. Kang (3111)
  4. C. McGehee (3052)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3033)
  1. J. Upton (2957)