Jul 24, 2014, 2:51 PM EST
Kendrys Morales had a good first week for the Twins after sitting out the first two months of the season and then signing a one-year, $7.5 million deal in June, but he’s been horrendous since then while hitting .209 with one homer and a .524 OPS in 33 games.
Today the Twins cut bait on the Morales move and surprisingly they not only found a taker for him they traded the 31-year-old designated hitter to the Mariners for a potentially useful 24-year-old reliever in Stephen Pryor.
Morales has shown some signs of life recently and hit well for Seattle last season, so the Mariners are betting on him adding a little thump to their lineup again down the stretch. He refused to re-sign with them this offseason, but that was when agent Scott Boras still had visions of a big multi-year deal and … well, now Morales didn’t have a choice in the matter.
Meanwhile, the Twins can turn back to Josmil Pinto at designated hitter and pick up a hard-throwing right-hander in Pryor, who has a 2.81 ERA with 35 strikeouts in 32 innings as a big leaguer but has struggled since returning from an injury last year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)