Jul 24, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Yankees ace Masahiro Tanaka is supposed to rest for six weeks before doctors determine if he needs Tommy John elbow surgery, but 10 days into the process things aren’t going well.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com writes that Tanaka “is still reporting discomfort in his right elbow” following a platelet-rich plasma injection and general manager Brian Cashman described the situation as “not good that he’s still feeling it at this stage.”
Rarely does the rest-and-rehab route work in the case of a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament and right now surgery sure seems likely eventually for Tanaka, who went 12-4 with a 2.51 ERA and 135/19 K/BB ratio through his first 18 starts after leaving Japan for a $155 million deal with the Yankees.
What a shame.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)