Jul 24, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
Ian Kennedy was originally drafted by the Yankees in 2006 and made 14 appearances with the club before being dealt to the Diamondbacks in a three-team deal in December of 2009. Now the Yankees are reportedly considering a reunion with the right-hander as they attempt to bolster their starting rotation.
According to Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM, the Yankees and Padres are discussing a deal that would bring Kennedy back to New York and send prospects Eric Jagielo and Ian Clarkin to San Diego. For what it’s worth, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman confirms that the Yankees are interested in Kennedy, but not at the expense of both Jagielo and Clarkin. Both were first-round picks of the Bombers last June. That would be a pretty steep price.
Kennedy, 29, owns a 3.66 ERA and 143/42 K/BB ratio over 135 1/3 innings this season. Home runs ultimately did him in during his time in Arizona, which is something to consider with a possible return to the Bronx. He’s making $6.1 million this season and is under team control through 2015.
Bowden also reports that the Yankees have been in discussions with the Rockies about left-hander Jorge De La Rosa. Basically, if there’s a pitcher who is available, it’s safe to assume that Brian Cashman has called about them.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (105)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)