Jul 24, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
The Mariners brought back Kendrys Morales in a deal with the Twins today, but they aren’t done attempting to upgrade.
According to FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi, the Mariners have asked the Rockies about the availability of outfielder Drew Stubbs. Thomas Harding of MLB.com confirms the report and adds that the Rockies would be willing to listen if they receive a “young” and “controllable” pitcher in return.
Stubbs is a logical target for the Mariners, as they could use some center field help and another righty bat for their predominantly left-handed lineup. The 29-year-old has enjoyed a fine year with the Rockies, batting 297/.335/.498 with 10 home runs, 27 RBI, and 11 stolen bases over 82 games.
It’s worth noting that Stubbs has enjoyed most of his success at Coors Field, with a .999 OPS at home compared to a .620 OPS on the road. He entered this season with a .656 OPS over his previous three seasons, so we might not be seeing a breakout as much as some inflated numbers. Stubbs has struck out in 30 percent of his plate appearances this season and has drawn walks less often than ever before. He’s a fine defender and could be useful on the short-side of a platoon, but it might not be a bad idea for the Rockies to sell high on his nice year.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 58
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)