Jul 24, 2014, 7:35 PM EST
The Mariners brought back Kendrys Morales in a deal with the Twins today, but they aren’t done attempting to upgrade.
According to FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi, the Mariners have asked the Rockies about the availability of outfielder Drew Stubbs. Thomas Harding of MLB.com confirms the report and adds that the Rockies would be willing to listen if they receive a “young” and “controllable” pitcher in return.
Stubbs is a logical target for the Mariners, as they could use some center field help and another righty bat for their predominantly left-handed lineup. The 29-year-old has enjoyed a fine year with the Rockies, batting 297/.335/.498 with 10 home runs, 27 RBI, and 11 stolen bases over 82 games.
It’s worth noting that Stubbs has enjoyed most of his success at Coors Field, with a .999 OPS at home compared to a .620 OPS on the road. He entered this season with a .656 OPS over his previous three seasons, so we might not be seeing a breakout as much as some inflated numbers. Stubbs has struck out in 30 percent of his plate appearances this season and has drawn walks less often than ever before. He’s a fine defender and could be useful on the short-side of a platoon, but it might not be a bad idea for the Rockies to sell high on his nice year.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)