Jul 24, 2014, 7:35 PM EST
The Mariners brought back Kendrys Morales in a deal with the Twins today, but they aren’t done attempting to upgrade.
According to FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi, the Mariners have asked the Rockies about the availability of outfielder Drew Stubbs. Thomas Harding of MLB.com confirms the report and adds that the Rockies would be willing to listen if they receive a “young” and “controllable” pitcher in return.
Stubbs is a logical target for the Mariners, as they could use some center field help and another righty bat for their predominantly left-handed lineup. The 29-year-old has enjoyed a fine year with the Rockies, batting 297/.335/.498 with 10 home runs, 27 RBI, and 11 stolen bases over 82 games.
It’s worth noting that Stubbs has enjoyed most of his success at Coors Field, with a .999 OPS at home compared to a .620 OPS on the road. He entered this season with a .656 OPS over his previous three seasons, so we might not be seeing a breakout as much as some inflated numbers. Stubbs has struck out in 30 percent of his plate appearances this season and has drawn walks less often than ever before. He’s a fine defender and could be useful on the short-side of a platoon, but it might not be a bad idea for the Rockies to sell high on his nice year.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 2
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)