Jul 24, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
The Mariners brought back Kendrys Morales in a deal with the Twins today, but they aren’t done attempting to upgrade.
According to FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi, the Mariners have asked the Rockies about the availability of outfielder Drew Stubbs. Thomas Harding of MLB.com confirms the report and adds that the Rockies would be willing to listen if they receive a “young” and “controllable” pitcher in return.
Stubbs is a logical target for the Mariners, as they could use some center field help and another righty bat for their predominantly left-handed lineup. The 29-year-old has enjoyed a fine year with the Rockies, batting 297/.335/.498 with 10 home runs, 27 RBI, and 11 stolen bases over 82 games.
It’s worth noting that Stubbs has enjoyed most of his success at Coors Field, with a .999 OPS at home compared to a .620 OPS on the road. He entered this season with a .656 OPS over his previous three seasons, so we might not be seeing a breakout as much as some inflated numbers. Stubbs has struck out in 30 percent of his plate appearances this season and has drawn walks less often than ever before. He’s a fine defender and could be useful on the short-side of a platoon, but it might not be a bad idea for the Rockies to sell high on his nice year.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)