Jul 24, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
Yoenis Cespedes smacked a pair of homers for the A’s last night, which got me thinking about which hitters have the most multi-homer games. My initial reaction was that Cespedes does it a lot and sure enough he’s gone deep multiple times in five games since debuting in 2012.
That’s a lot, but it’s actually not close to the most during that same 2012-2014 time period:
Edwin Encarnacion 10 Alfonso Soriano 9 Giancarlo Stanton 8 Miguel Cabrera 8 Ryan Braun 8
I like that the multi-homer game leaderboard includes four names you’d expect in Edwin Encarnacion, Giancarlo Stanton, Miguel Cabrera, and Ryan Braun … and then Alfonso Soriano, who was released by the Yankees last week and might be retiring.
Also of note: Cespedes’ five multi-homer games since 2012 ranks tied for 22nd and a total of 30 hitters have at least five multi-homer games during that time.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)