Jul 24, 2014, 6:13 PM EST
Zach Putnam has had a share of the closer role with the White Sox in recent weeks, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list due to right shoulder inflammation.
Putnam struggled in his most recent appearance yesterday against the Royals, allowing one unearned run on two hits and two walks over one inning. He threw just 13 out of 27 pitches for strikes. Even with the shaky outing, the 27-year-old owns a 2.33 ERA over 33 appearances this season to go along with three saves and a 32/15 K/BB ratio over 38 1/3 innings.
Jake Petricka is now the default frontrunner for save chances with Chicago, but Matt Lindstrom is close to a rehab assignment as he makes his way back from ankle surgery and could soon find himself in the mix once again.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)