Jul 24, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
Zach Putnam has had a share of the closer role with the White Sox in recent weeks, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list due to right shoulder inflammation.
Putnam struggled in his most recent appearance yesterday against the Royals, allowing one unearned run on two hits and two walks over one inning. He threw just 13 out of 27 pitches for strikes. Even with the shaky outing, the 27-year-old owns a 2.33 ERA over 33 appearances this season to go along with three saves and a 32/15 K/BB ratio over 38 1/3 innings.
Jake Petricka is now the default frontrunner for save chances with Chicago, but Matt Lindstrom is close to a rehab assignment as he makes his way back from ankle surgery and could soon find himself in the mix once again.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)