Jul 24, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
Zach Putnam has had a share of the closer role with the White Sox in recent weeks, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list due to right shoulder inflammation.
Putnam struggled in his most recent appearance yesterday against the Royals, allowing one unearned run on two hits and two walks over one inning. He threw just 13 out of 27 pitches for strikes. Even with the shaky outing, the 27-year-old owns a 2.33 ERA over 33 appearances this season to go along with three saves and a 32/15 K/BB ratio over 38 1/3 innings.
Jake Petricka is now the default frontrunner for save chances with Chicago, but Matt Lindstrom is close to a rehab assignment as he makes his way back from ankle surgery and could soon find himself in the mix once again.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)