And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Jul 25, 2014, 6:47 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 6.46.57 AM Getty Images

Royals 2, Indians 1: Corey Kluber deserved a better fate than a no-decision after he went nine innings, allowing only two hits and one unearned run and striking out 10 (and Oh My God that unearned run …) But heck, I guess it’s better than the loss he was poised to take before the Tribe managed to scratch out a run in the ninth against Greg Holland. Eventually it went 14 innings and ended with a Nori Aoki walkoff single. The affair lasted four hours, 23 minutes. In all, 397 pitches were thrown.

Phillies 2, Giants 1: Cole Hamels was dominant, striking out 10 and allowing only one run over eight innings. In other news, Ryan Howard sat against a righty he’s totally owned during his career (.328/.425/.687). I mean, I get platooning or even benching Howard, but if you’re not going to start him against Tim Hudson of all people, who do you start him against?

Blue Jays 8, Red Sox 0: Marcus Stroman took a no-no into the seventh. And, while he couldn’t finish that off, he was still outstanding, with the hit he allowed to Shane Victorino being the only one he allowed. Meanwhile, Jays bats were not at all baffled by Rubby De La Rosa, touching him for seven runs on nine hits in four. Juan Francisco drove in four.

Marlins 3, Braves 2: A joint Craig Kimbrel/Evan Gattis, well, not a meltdown, but a failure in the ninth. Kimbrel struck out one guy and had the second guy struck out but Gattis couldn’t handle strike three, allowing the batter to reach first. Then he went to second on a wild pitch. Then he scored on an RBI single. If Kimbrel and Gattis clean it up the game probably goes to extras. As it was, the Marlins took three of four in Turner Field. Which doesn’t happen too darn often.

Yankees 4, Rangers 2: Brandon McCarthy had his third straight solid outing since joining the Yankees, allowing one run over six innings. The Rangers are now 3-17 in the month of July.

Padres 13, Cubs 3: Tyson Ross struck out 11 and the Padres lineup — which looked like a list of guys in witness protection — exploded for 13. Nine runs coming in the sixth inning. Rene Rivera had three hits, including a homer while driving in three. Will VenableAlexi Amarista and Chris Nelson each drove in two. Easily the best night at the plate of the season for the friars.

Athletics 13, Astros 1: The A’s, on the other hand, are used to blowing teams out. Brandon Moss hit a grand slam. Jeff Samardzija allowed one run on five his over eight. He’d go a month without this kind of run support when he was in Chicago.

Brewers 9, Mets 1: Yet another blowout on Thursday. Matt Garza, who was shelled and sent to the showers early in his previous start, allowed only one run over eight innings. Homers for Jonathan Lucroy, Khris Davis and Ryan Braun.

White Sox 5, Twins 2: Lots of blowouts yesterday but lots of nice pitching performances too. Another one came from Hector Noesi, who allowed allowed two runs on three hits over seven and two-thirds. He was backed up by Adam Eaton who was 3 for 5 with two RBI and a double.

Tigers 6, Angels 4: Max Scherzer won his fourth straight decision, besting Garrett Richards. Nick Castellanos drove in the tying and go-ahead run in the sixth. Scherzer is now tied for the league lead in wins and is 4-0 with a 2.21 ERA in his last six starts.

Orioles 4, Mariners 0: And another nice start: Wie-Yen Chen shut out the M’s for eight innings, allowing only five hits. He was backed by a Delmon Young three-run homer.

1. uyf1950 - Jul 25, 2014 at 6:54 AM

The Yankees starting rotation has looked pretty good Thursday it was McCarthy again. But it hasn’t been just him, over the past 10 games roughly the starters have looked very look. Hopefully it continues. And the offense has scored just enough runs to go 7-3 over that stretch.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Time for the Yankees to cool out over the weekend.

• uyf1950 - Jul 25, 2014 at 7:22 AM

We’ll see. Both the Jays and Yankees have been on a roll since the ASB. Baring some sort of game cancellation during this this 3 game series one team or the other will take the series. BTW, the weather forecast for the city is pretty decent this weekend. No rain in the forecast until sometime in the wee hours of Sunday morning.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM

It should be fun.

• Kevin S. - Jul 25, 2014 at 7:19 AM

Still not ready to believe in this team. Sure, the starters have looked good in stretches, but I’m not banking on Whitley, Phelps and Greene consistently holding up over the last two months, and that offense is still a mess. Yes, they actually are currently holding the second wild-card spot, and we’ve seen weirder stuff happen over sixty-game periods before, but I just can’t get invested in the 2014 Yankees as a contender.

• uyf1950 - Jul 25, 2014 at 7:27 AM

I don’t think you are going to have to “bank on Whitley” for that much longer. Although he did pitch well in his last outing. But I wouldn’t count on him either. They other guys all seem to be pitching well: Kuroda, Phelps, Greene and McCarthy. All we as fans can do is take one game at a time one series at a time and hope the Yankees play well enough to to stay in this thing.

BTW, I fully expect Cashman to make at trade or 2 to improve the Yankees chances before the trade deadline. We’ll see.

• Kevin S. - Jul 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM

We’ll see. Cashman looks to be dumpster diving again. That’s fine – I think it’s one of his most underrated skills, one nobody gives him much credit for, but I’m still assuming that Whitley and Co. will have significant roles to play until proven otherwise, and that worries me.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 25, 2014 at 8:29 AM

I didn’t realize that desperately flailing around in the garbage was a “skill.” It was necessitated by Cashman’s “skill” at overpaying aging free agents and his “skill” at never ever succeeding in the draft. I’d say it just about parallels his “skill” at jumping out of airplanes.

• Kevin S. - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:00 AM

He comes up strong on those scrap heap deals too often to just attribute it to blind luck. But hey, believe what you will.

• zzalapski - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM

never ever succeeding in the draft

Cashman draftees contributing to this year’s Yankees team:
        Brett Gardner (2005 3rd round)
        Dellin Betances (2006 8th round)
        David Robertson (2006 17th round)
        David Phelps (2008 14th round)
        John Ryan Murphy (2009 2nd round)
        Adam Warren (2009 4th round)

Cashman draftees contributing elsewhere this year:
        Phil Coke (2002 26th round)
        Tyler Clippard (2003 9th round)
        Phil Hughes (2004 1st round)
        Austin Jackson (2005 8th round)
        Ian Kennedy (2006 1st round)
        Joba Chamberlain (2006 1st round)
        George Kontos (2006 5th round)
        Mark Melancon (2006 9th round)
        Gerrit Cole (2008 1st round, did not sign)

• dsaverno - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I can’t decide if zz’s comment is meant to be pro or con.

• nbjays - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:20 AM

“Cashman draftees contributing elsewhere this year:
        Phil Coke (2002 26th round)”

Bahahahahahahahahaha!

Over to you, Historio…

• historiophiliac - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Maybe he meant contributing to the Yankees’ cause from elsewhere…in which case, I might agree on Choke. :(

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM

The Red Sox won the first game of their 4 game series with the Jays by 14 to 1, yet the Jays won the series and outscored the Red Sox during the series. Forget that nice 5 game winning streak that the Red Sox had. They are not going to make the playoffs. Jays fans have seen the future of the team and it is based on young pitchers Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez. There will not be any trades that involve giving up highly rated prospects. Both Encarnacion and Lind should return from the DL next week, with Lawrie not too far behind.

3. NatsLady - Jul 25, 2014 at 7:46 AM

After last night’s disaster, Edwin Jackson has given up an NL-worst 73 earned runs. Guess who’s given up an AL-worst 73 earned runs.

Did you guess Justin Verlander?

• Kevin S. - Jul 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Good thing the Tigers locked him up two years before they had to.

• historiophiliac - Jul 25, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Hey!

• happytwinsfan - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:00 AM

No worry. Scherzer is filling in for him like Lolich filled in for McClain. Now if we can get Larry Sherry before the trade deadline.

• gloccamorra - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:25 AM

happytwinsfan, you’ve been around the block a few times, haven’t you? I’m not criticizing – I didn’t have to google any of those names.

• happytwinsfan - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Just trying to finish my childhood. I hear the second one can be a lot of fun.

• nbjays - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

4. Eutaw's Finest - Jul 25, 2014 at 7:47 AM

O’s with another solid start last night and a W to keep their lead at 3 games.

As the trade deadline approaches, I honestly think no move is the best move for this team. There’s no pitcher out there that would improve this rotation (De La Rosa or Kennedy would be marginal at best, and who else is ACTUALLY available?) and the bats are as healthy as ever. Davis is being given every chance to turn things around with his bat, and last night you could see the effort (working on beating the shift and hitting to the left side of the diamond, ended 1-4 on the night) and IF he turns it around? This offense goes to the next level. The ONLY position that I could see the O’s looking to improve via trade is 2B, but who is out there? Utley? No thanks. Zobrist isn’t coming here. And nobody else is really available.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Doing nothing is most often the best strategy.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jul 25, 2014 at 8:06 AM

(shhh…. don’t let the Yankees hear you…)

• Kevin S. - Jul 25, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Only if doing something has opportunity costs. McCarthey and Headley basically had none. That Kennedy proposal that Bowden threw out there… yeesh.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Good point. McCarthy is an upgrade; however, I have doubts about Headley being much of an upgrade. As far as Bowden is concerned, it is quite obvious why he is no longer a GM.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Jul 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM

however, I have doubts about Headley being much of an upgrade.

Over Solarte? I’d take that bet every day of the week and twice on sunday.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I fully agree. Do nothing. Unless they can find a decent bullpen arm really cheap. You can never have enough bullpen help.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Agreed. I’m kinda over the whole Tommy Hunter thing. He’s proven ineffective in roughly 3 of every 4 outings.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM

He’s returned back to who he always has been. He had one really great year last year and has sadly returned back to Home Run Hunter.

• emdash01 - Jul 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM

The O’s need bullpen arms pretty badly, as beyond O’Day and Britton and maybe Webb there’s no one particularly reliable there.

5. holographicribs - Jul 25, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Scherzer throwing gas last night. Me likey.

• philliesblow - Jul 25, 2014 at 8:01 AM

How about Nathan? 3 strike outs with just 12 pitches to close it out. Maybe feeling a little competition for the closer spot with the trade for Soria?

• happytwinsfan - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Nathan doesn’t need any extra incentive to be competitive. He’s always been all in on every pitch. It’s only a matter of how much is left in the tank. I wouldn’t bet against there being enough to make it to October.

• historiophiliac - Jul 25, 2014 at 8:46 AM

No kidding. Hows about a little 97 mph fastball — want another? 11 SO (and to annoy people I must point out that Trout struck out twice). His Heterochromianess, y’all!

Nice leaping catch by AJ. I don’t think Miggy amuses Trout (aka Aquaman) much. We looked pretty good last night. Definitely a thumbs up.

• philliesblow - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Craig pointed out yesterday the way to troll Tiger fans is to bring up all things Trout. Nice reverse troll. To be fair, Miggy struck out twice also.

• historiophiliac - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Shhh. You’re supposed to let them get mad and point that out…and laugh at how easy they are to crank up while they rant about Tigers homers. :D

• doctorofsmuganomics - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:17 AM

“(and to annoy people I must point out that Trout struck out twice)..”

I was gonna do that. jerk.

• historiophiliac - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I know you are but what am I!

• pauleee - Jul 25, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I feel like the biggest idiot on the planet. Watching the game last night, they show Scherzer in the dugout and I say “Hey look, I didn’t know he had two different colored eyes!” and THEN it hits me. How many times have I seen historio say His Heteochromianess in her posts? Facepalm.

As for the strikeouts, Trout does it more than I’d like, but what really gets me is it always seems like when he does it takes a really hittable strike two. Then he goes chasing.

• nbjays - Jul 25, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Pauleee, you can only be the third biggest idiot on the planet… spots one and two are permanently taken by Ruben Amaro and Jeff Loria.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I was at the game. Scherzer was throwing well. Richards was too all things considered. Even though both teams scored a fair amount of runs, the pitchers played pretty well. Except for the Angels bullpen

6. kastout11 - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Kluber was awesome. I knew the guy could pitch, but he was better then I thought. He looked like the best pitcher in baseball, not named Clayton Kershaw. I thought he was going to throw a no-hitter, he had that kind of stuff. Aside from Kershaw’s no-hitter, Kluber’s performance last night was probably the best I have seen a guy pitch all season.

7. girardisbraces - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I’m an unabashed Yankees fan, but I have no idea how the hell this team is only 3 games out of first place. Smoke and mirrors, apparently.

I wonder if they look at the Red Sox in the standings and say “There but for the grace of God, go we”….

8. sportsdrenched - Jul 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM

The Royals roller coaster continues. After being swept by the Red Sox last weekend. The Royals have quietly put together 3 wins in a row.

Now, will they capitalize, or suck us in just enough to tank again?

9. mikhelb - Jul 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM

“The Marlins took three of four in Turner Field. Which doesn’t happen too darn often.”

Are you mad, bro? hahahahaha

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS