Jul 25, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Marc Carig of Newsday reports that Mets pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka has left his team, currently in Milwaukee for a four-game series to wrap up a ten-game road trip, to fly back to New York. He will undergo an MRI on his troublesome right elbow.
Matsuzaka allowed three runs in two innings of relief yesterday against the Brewers and has struggled tremendously dating back to late June, serving as a swingman. In four starts and two relief appearances since June 26, Matsuzaka has a 5.93 ERA with a 26/13 K/BB ratio in 27 1/3 innings.
The 33-year-old right-hander has undergone Tommy John surgery before, back in 2011 when he was still with the Red Sox. Obviously, that scary thought has to be lingering in the back of GM Sandy Alderson’s mind.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)