Jul 25, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants have called up second baseman Dan Uggla from Triple-A Fresno. Utility infielder Tony Abreu will join him. In related moves, the Giants placed Ehire Adrianza and Marco Scutaro on the 15-day disabled list, and designated infielder Nick Noonan and pitcher Jose De Paula for assignment. Uggla will bat seventh in tonight’s starting lineup against the Dodgers.
Uggla, 34, had a miserable year with the Braves, slashing .162/.241/.231 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 145 plate appearances. Towards the end of May, the Braves started to reduce his playing time in favor of rookie Tommy La Stella. The Braves finally decided to release him on July 18, which allowed the Giants to sign him to a minor league deal earlier this week.
In nine plate appearances with Fresno, Uggla drew two walks, singled, and doubled.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 93
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (93)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)