Jul 25, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants have called up second baseman Dan Uggla from Triple-A Fresno. Utility infielder Tony Abreu will join him. In related moves, the Giants placed Ehire Adrianza and Marco Scutaro on the 15-day disabled list, and designated infielder Nick Noonan and pitcher Jose De Paula for assignment. Uggla will bat seventh in tonight’s starting lineup against the Dodgers.
Uggla, 34, had a miserable year with the Braves, slashing .162/.241/.231 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 145 plate appearances. Towards the end of May, the Braves started to reduce his playing time in favor of rookie Tommy La Stella. The Braves finally decided to release him on July 18, which allowed the Giants to sign him to a minor league deal earlier this week.
In nine plate appearances with Fresno, Uggla drew two walks, singled, and doubled.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)