Jul 25, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants have called up second baseman Dan Uggla from Triple-A Fresno. Utility infielder Tony Abreu will join him. In related moves, the Giants placed Ehire Adrianza and Marco Scutaro on the 15-day disabled list, and designated infielder Nick Noonan and pitcher Jose De Paula for assignment. Uggla will bat seventh in tonight’s starting lineup against the Dodgers.
Uggla, 34, had a miserable year with the Braves, slashing .162/.241/.231 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 145 plate appearances. Towards the end of May, the Braves started to reduce his playing time in favor of rookie Tommy La Stella. The Braves finally decided to release him on July 18, which allowed the Giants to sign him to a minor league deal earlier this week.
In nine plate appearances with Fresno, Uggla drew two walks, singled, and doubled.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)