Jul 25, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants have called up second baseman Dan Uggla from Triple-A Fresno. Utility infielder Tony Abreu will join him. In related moves, the Giants placed Ehire Adrianza and Marco Scutaro on the 15-day disabled list, and designated infielder Nick Noonan and pitcher Jose De Paula for assignment. Uggla will bat seventh in tonight’s starting lineup against the Dodgers.
Uggla, 34, had a miserable year with the Braves, slashing .162/.241/.231 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 145 plate appearances. Towards the end of May, the Braves started to reduce his playing time in favor of rookie Tommy La Stella. The Braves finally decided to release him on July 18, which allowed the Giants to sign him to a minor league deal earlier this week.
In nine plate appearances with Fresno, Uggla drew two walks, singled, and doubled.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 0
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 34
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 61
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15