Jul 25, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants have called up second baseman Dan Uggla from Triple-A Fresno. Utility infielder Tony Abreu will join him. In related moves, the Giants placed Ehire Adrianza and Marco Scutaro on the 15-day disabled list, and designated infielder Nick Noonan and pitcher Jose De Paula for assignment. Uggla will bat seventh in tonight’s starting lineup against the Dodgers.
Uggla, 34, had a miserable year with the Braves, slashing .162/.241/.231 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 145 plate appearances. Towards the end of May, the Braves started to reduce his playing time in favor of rookie Tommy La Stella. The Braves finally decided to release him on July 18, which allowed the Giants to sign him to a minor league deal earlier this week.
In nine plate appearances with Fresno, Uggla drew two walks, singled, and doubled.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)