Jul 25, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
The Phillies are officially on the hook for $11 million in 2015, as Jimmy Rollins‘ option became guaranteed with his second plate appearance in tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks. Per Rollins’ contract, details of which you can see at Cot’s Contracts, Rollins’ 2015 option became guaranteed by accruing 1,100 plate appearances between the 2013-14 seasons. He had 666 last season and just hit 434 this season. Conversely, had Rollins missed time due to injuries last season, the option would have also become guaranteed with 600 plate appearances this season, which he also seems likely to achieve.
The only way the Phillies will be free of the commitment is if Rollins ends the 2014 season on the disabled list and a mutually agreed-upon doctor doesn’t deem him available for Opening Day in 2015.
The $11 million commitment for 2015 is yet another obstacle if Phillies GM Ruben Amaro intends to trade Rollins. Rollins has already said he won’t waive his 10-and-5 rights, but even if they somehow convinced him to do so, there many not be many takers willing to pay a 36-year-old shortstop $11 million.
Rollins entered the night with a .243/.326/.398 slash line with 13 home runs, 45 RBI, and 19 stolen bases. He has flied out and grounded out to third in two trips to the dish tonight against D-Backs starter Wade Miley.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)