Jul 25, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
The Mariners have optioned DH Jesus Montero to Triple-A Tacoma to make room for Kendrys Morales, Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune reports. Morales is in the Mariners’ starting lineup tonight, batting clean-up against the Orioles.
Morales rejoined the Mariners in a trade yesterday which sent Stephen Pryor to the Twins. The 31-year-old 1B/DH didn’t have a great start with the Twins, posting a disappointing .234/.259/.325 slash line with one home run and 18 RBI in 162 plate appearances. The Twins had signed him to a one-year deal worth a prorated $14 million on June 8.
Montero, 24, performed poorly in a handful of plate appearances at the major league level, slashing .235/.235/.412 with one home run and two RBI in 17 trips to the plate. To his credit, Montero has performed well with Tacoma, where he has spent a vast majority of his season, but the Mariners would prefer to see him translate that into success in the majors.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)