Jul 25, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
The Mariners have optioned DH Jesus Montero to Triple-A Tacoma to make room for Kendrys Morales, Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune reports. Morales is in the Mariners’ starting lineup tonight, batting clean-up against the Orioles.
Morales rejoined the Mariners in a trade yesterday which sent Stephen Pryor to the Twins. The 31-year-old 1B/DH didn’t have a great start with the Twins, posting a disappointing .234/.259/.325 slash line with one home run and 18 RBI in 162 plate appearances. The Twins had signed him to a one-year deal worth a prorated $14 million on June 8.
Montero, 24, performed poorly in a handful of plate appearances at the major league level, slashing .235/.235/.412 with one home run and two RBI in 17 trips to the plate. To his credit, Montero has performed well with Tacoma, where he has spent a vast majority of his season, but the Mariners would prefer to see him translate that into success in the majors.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 0
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 21
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)