Jul 25, 2014, 9:35 PM EST
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Cardinals are in the process of signing free agent catcher A.J. Pierzynski. This would force George Kottaras out, and the Cardinals signed him all of two weeks ago. Goold adds that the Cardinals are trying to get the deal done in time for Saturday’s game against the Cubs.
[Update, 10:00 PM ET: The deal is done, per Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.]
Pierzynski, 37, was released by the Red Sox in mid-June after posting a paltry .254/.286/.348 slash line with four home runs and 31 RBI. The Red Sox signed Pierzynski back in December to a one-year, $8.25 million deal.
In six plate appearances for the Cardinals, Kottaras has walked, singled, and was credited with an RBI on an error by Scooter Gennett. Tony Cruz has gotten the majority of the playing time behind the plate for the Cardinals since Yadier Molina went on the 15-day disabled list with a torn ligament in his right thumb.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)