Report: Cardinals in the process of signing A.J. Pierzynski

Jul 25, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Cardinals are in the process of signing free agent catcher A.J. Pierzynski. This would force George Kottaras out, and the Cardinals signed him all of two weeks ago. Goold adds that the Cardinals are trying to get the deal done in time for Saturday’s game against the Cubs.

[Update, 10:00 PM ET: The deal is done, per Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.]

Pierzynski, 37, was released by the Red Sox in mid-June after posting a paltry .254/.286/.348 slash line with four home runs and 31 RBI. The Red Sox signed Pierzynski back in December to a one-year, $8.25 million deal.

In six plate appearances for the Cardinals, Kottaras has walked, singled, and was credited with an RBI on an error by Scooter Gennett. Tony Cruz has gotten the majority of the playing time behind the plate for the Cardinals since Yadier Molina went on the 15-day disabled list with a torn ligament in his right thumb.

1. okwhitefalcon - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Two weeks ago I was totally against this.

Now, not so much.

• paperlions - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Why? AJ still sucks. Kottaras is a better hitter and they both are worse than Cruz at catching.

Really, this is just rearranging deck chairs. With the injuries, decline of key players, and a manager that refuses to play the best players on his roster, this just seems like a never ending season of under performing, frustrating mediocrity.

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Because I care less now than I did 2 weeks ago.

The farther along this “never ending season of under performing, frustrating mediocrity” goes, the less vested I am.

No blame for Mo?

Cause there should be, this deck shuffle included.

• paperlions - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Funny you say that….I feel the same way. Just getting to the point of not caring too much.

Yeah, of course there is blame for Mo…of course, for me, letting his manager do such a poor job without stepping in is near the top of the list. Everyone in the organization does their job to draft, develop, scout, and sign players to create a talented MLB roster…and then they piss away games with horrible managing. Of course, the player have much blame for how the season has unfolded…but Matheny has been a clear net negative with his decision making.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Have to agree that this season’s ups and downs aren’t all Matheny. Nor are they all Mo. Part of this, on the hitting side, is regression back to the mean after last year’s luck.

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 25, 2014 at 11:09 PM

That seemed more like a swipe at the manager than actually laying any blame on Mo for a dysfunctional roster, paper.

In all seriousness, I don’t lay much blame at Mo or Matheny’s feet.

Players have to execute when called upon, GM/manager notwithstanding.

• paperlions - Jul 25, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Well, Matheny is horrible at his job and he either hasn’t received the proper training considering that he had no coaching or managing experience when hired or the dumb things he is doing (e.g. hit and run with the pitcher at the plate today, straight steal with Adams the other day, insisting on playing Craig when he is totally lost at the plate) that is costing the team outs, runners, and runs are things Mo thinks are good ideas. Matheny should be fired or taught how to not suck at his job. In many interviews you can hear Mo’s frustration with playing time for players, but he doesn’t seem to be doing anything about it.

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 26, 2014 at 12:26 AM

I feel your frustration but think you’re placing way (and I mean, waaaayyy) to much blame on the manager.

Not that he doesn’t deserve some, because he does.

That said, no more than the GM and a helluva lot less than the players.

Weren’t you spewing the exact same “manager sucking at his job” rhetoric in 2011 about TLR?

You were, and I was too.

I gave it up, realized players determine outcomes of games by their execution and performance and are very capable of making their managers and General Managers decisions look very good or bad in the process.

• perryt200 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:43 AM

Come on. Lay off Matheny. Last year the Cards were shut out 11 games, this year 10 so far.

Todays game against the Cubs was a comedy, but if you can’t score a single run you seldom win and that isn’t the managers fault.

• gibbyfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Hey –I’m right there with you guys………….yesterdays Cub game was too much for me. The lenght of the game alone was enough to drive me crazy –I’m not sure why you feel MM is that bad of a manager considering what he has done so far, but I have never really been a big fan–mostly indifferent. But, I do wonder, when Jay is in the lineup,with maybe the second best batting average, why do they bat him 7th or 8th –can’t figure that one out–almost seems like a punitive thing
        By the way– poorly as they have been, i still think we will see them in the PS

2. SocraticGadfly - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Oh, lord. One clubhouse cancer, coming up.

• clydeserra - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Cancer? I don’t get it.

Because he didn’t comfort a grown adult after a bad day at his job? Because he liked keeping up with his friends rather than play with gomes and napoli? Because he taunted the other team?

I have always disliked Pierzinski, but is his personality really that bad in the clubhouse? When he was i n Chicago he seemed well liked.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Well, I don’t know if it wasn’t more than just Gomes and Napoli, as the “goodbye” story from the Globe made it sound a couple of weeks ago that he wasn’t that popular in general in that clubhouse, and he’s developed kind of a reputation at multiple stops.

I know he wasn’t that well liked in Arlington.

• clydeserra - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:46 PM

nor was he liked in SF (who gave up nathan and liriano and someone else serviceable for).

but the bigger point is he is terrible at offense and defense. Not an upgrade over Kottaras.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Oh, I totally agree. So, why didn’t Mo want to keep Kottaras, whose never been called (that I know of) a cancer? Like Falcon, I have pretty much given up trying to understand him this year.

• historiophiliac - Jul 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Oh, what’s in that drink? Besides bitters, obviously.

• gloccamorra - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:07 PM

That’s the strategy. One way to bring a lackluster clubhouse together is to bring in a guy everybody can detest. Unity! The trick is to get rid of him early enough to get a run going, but not so early that the rush runs out before the season ends.

3. disgustipated812 - Jul 25, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Why why why? He’s a cancer and can’t hit anymore. Sure hope this isn’t Mo’s big move. Not sure what he adds

4. scotttheskeptic - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:13 PM

I love the guy, and he is still my favorite Phillie, but man the Cardinals could use Chooch right now. A package deal with Utley should net the Phillies a great return.

5. 18thstreet - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Meet the newest Molina, Anti Molina.

Cardinal fans, you will hate him. Bad at everything a catcher is supposed to do. I generally respect the Cards’ GM — how couldn’t I — so I’ll assume this is about more than finding the cheapest option. But I don’t see it.

As far as being a cancer? The guys at OvertheMonster.com said it well: you can either be a jerk, or you can bat .210. But you can’t do both of these things and hold a job.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:50 PM

And, that’s why the Sox let him go, and he wasn’t the Cards’ first choice as a temporary fix. He may not be at .210, but all his slashes are career lows since becoming a starter.

• 18thstreet - Jul 26, 2014 at 12:58 PM

So sloppy as a catcher. It was like he was trying on conserve energy.

6. rickrenteria - Jul 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Unforced error on the Cardinals organization. Wrigley should be teeming tomorrow and Friday with AJ hatred. I can’t wait.

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM

It’s a very forced error on the Cards organization.

Forced by the injury to Molina, the overexposure to his back up and the realization their initial choice for catching help wasn’t a good one.

7. jilljulias - Jul 25, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Well that’s rather uninspiring.

8. westcoastredbird - Jul 26, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Matheny is no TLR. You got a glimpse of the future Cardinal’s Manager in Joe Madden. What a perfect fit. Matheny cost the Cardinals another victory today. Dude is clueless. Must still suffer from post concussion syndrome. AJ is better than what they have now. Maybe the personality they need to jump start the team. I’m convinced that Allen Craig is still hurt. Just play Taveras everyday already! As an owner of a company I try to put people in a position to succeed. You have to know your people and circumstance to accomplish that. Sometimes I’m wrong. Matheny stuck with Siegrist (who I like) who just got off the DL too long. You could read his body language that he was tired. Matheny always seems to make the move after the damage is done. It’s time to start working on my NFL Fantasy Draft prep work.

9. hustleandflomax - Jul 26, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Not an upgrade. Not at all.

10. wannabeGM - Jul 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Reblogged this on stlcardinalsminimo and commented:
    smart move by Mozeliak

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3626)