Astros prospect right-hander Mark Appel set to be promoted to Double-A

Jul 26, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT

Mark Appel AP AP

Astros prospect right-hander Mark Appel had his best start of the season on Thursday and now Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle reports that he’s set to be promoted to Double-A Corpus Christi.

When the Astros chose Appel first overall in last June’s First-Year Player Draft, many believed that he was on the fast track to the major leagues. Of course, it hasn’t worked out that way. After a solid showing in his pro debut last season, the 23-year-old has struggled to the tune of a 9.74 ERA over 12 starts this season with High-A Lancaster. He got a late start this spring following an appendectomy in late January, but the Astros sent him to a full-season affiliate anyway and he had some trouble adjusting to the organization’s piggyback pitching rotation. He has also missed some time with right wrist and thumb issues.

It’s been a rough ride, but Thursday’s start provided reason for optimism, as Appel allowed two runs on five hits and no walks while striking out seven batters. He’s hoping to look back on his struggles as a learning experience.

“It’s been the worst experience of my life,” Appel said. “I would say I’ll look back at my time in Lancaster this whole season… whenever it ends, whether I end up going to Corpus at some point this year or the season ends, I’ll look back at the summer and say ‘Wow, I really learned a lot.’”

1. esracerx46 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Way to earn that promotion!

2. Stiller43 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I wish i could be as bad at my job as be as at his and get rewarded for it

3. edelmanfanclub - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:55 PM

The 2 starts before that he got lit up for 7 ER, in both starts. Why is he getting a promotion to AA if he’s clearly not ready?

4. zdravit - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Maybe this future hall of famer just couldn’t take the kids in Single-A seriously.

5. Bob - Jul 26, 2014 at 11:18 PM

The promotion is probably to save what’s left of his obviously fragile psyche. Let him leave Lancaster with confidence and get out of the home run havens of the California League. But in listening to his quotes throughout the season, it seems he doesn’t handle adversity too well. His manager alluded to that last week after a rough outing.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think he has bust written all over him.

6. onbucky96 - Jul 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I wish no ill no anyone…unless they willingly choose to have Scott Boras as their agent. The Dark Lord of the MLBPA can take his “Mystery Team” and shove it.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3088)