Jul 26, 2014, 2:20 PM EST
Daisuke Matsuzaka has been surprisingly useful for the Mets this season in a swingman role, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list due to right elbow inflammation.
Matsuzaka appeared in discomfort after throwing two innings in relief on Thursday against the Brewers and was sent back to New York in order to undergo an MRI. The 33-year-old has posted a 3.87 ERA across nine starts and 19 relief appearances this season. While he has issued 44 walks in 74 1/3 innings, he has 71 strikeouts and has held opposing batters to a .202 average.
With Matsuzaka going on the disabled list, the Mets have brought back right-hander Buddy Carlyle from Triple-A Las Vegas. The veteran reliever was outrighted off the 40-man roster earlier this week following the return of Jon Niese.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)