Jul 26, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Daisuke Matsuzaka has been surprisingly useful for the Mets this season in a swingman role, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list due to right elbow inflammation.
Matsuzaka appeared in discomfort after throwing two innings in relief on Thursday against the Brewers and was sent back to New York in order to undergo an MRI. The 33-year-old has posted a 3.87 ERA across nine starts and 19 relief appearances this season. While he has issued 44 walks in 74 1/3 innings, he has 71 strikeouts and has held opposing batters to a .202 average.
With Matsuzaka going on the disabled list, the Mets have brought back right-hander Buddy Carlyle from Triple-A Las Vegas. The veteran reliever was outrighted off the 40-man roster earlier this week following the return of Jon Niese.
- The beauty of belief 14
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 34
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 70
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)