Jul 26, 2014, 2:20 PM EST
Daisuke Matsuzaka has been surprisingly useful for the Mets this season in a swingman role, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list due to right elbow inflammation.
Matsuzaka appeared in discomfort after throwing two innings in relief on Thursday against the Brewers and was sent back to New York in order to undergo an MRI. The 33-year-old has posted a 3.87 ERA across nine starts and 19 relief appearances this season. While he has issued 44 walks in 74 1/3 innings, he has 71 strikeouts and has held opposing batters to a .202 average.
With Matsuzaka going on the disabled list, the Mets have brought back right-hander Buddy Carlyle from Triple-A Las Vegas. The veteran reliever was outrighted off the 40-man roster earlier this week following the return of Jon Niese.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)