Jul 26, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is now official. Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox will pick up just over half of the roughly $5 million remaining on Peavy’s contract for this season. That explains why they got something of quality in return.
As for Peavy, he will make his Giants debut tomorrow night against the Dodgers.
12:01 p.m. ET: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Red Sox will receive prospect pitchers Edwin Escobar and Heath Hembree in return. Both are pretty legit prospects, but it helps that the Red Sox are apparently sending some money to the Giants in the deal.
Escobar, a 22-year-old left-hander, was No. 56 on Baseball America‘s preseason list and has posted a 5.11 ERA and 96/37 K/BB ratio over 111 innings this season with Triple-A Fresno. Hembree, a 25-year-old right-hander is a relief pitcher with a big arm. He made nine appearances with the Giants last season, but has pitched exclusively in Triple-A this year, posting a 3.89 ERA and 46/13 K/BB ratio over 39 1/3 innings.
11:15 a.m. ET: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Giants will acquire Peavy from the Red Sox. No word yet on what Boston will receive in return, but it’s expected to be minor league pitchers.
11:07 a.m. ET: According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Giants are close to acquiring Peavy. However, details are still being worked on.
10:59 a.m. ET: Jen Royle of the Boston Herald reports that the Red Sox are close to trading right-hander Jake Peavy to a National League team. However, she also adds that “lots of things need to happen” before it gets done.
While the Cardinals were rumored as a possible destination earlier this month, Royle hears that he’s not going to St. Louis. Her best guesses are the Giants or Brewers. For what it’s worth, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal hears that the Red Sox and Giants were having “serious discussions” about Peavy yesterday.
Peavy, 33, has posted a 4.72 ERA and 100/46 K/BB ratio over 124 innings this season. He’s due to be a free agent this winter.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)