Jul 26, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
UPDATE: The deal is now official. Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox will pick up just over half of the roughly $5 million remaining on Peavy’s contract for this season. That explains why they got something of quality in return.
As for Peavy, he will make his Giants debut tomorrow night against the Dodgers.
12:01 p.m. ET: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Red Sox will receive prospect pitchers Edwin Escobar and Heath Hembree in return. Both are pretty legit prospects, but it helps that the Red Sox are apparently sending some money to the Giants in the deal.
Escobar, a 22-year-old left-hander, was No. 56 on Baseball America‘s preseason list and has posted a 5.11 ERA and 96/37 K/BB ratio over 111 innings this season with Triple-A Fresno. Hembree, a 25-year-old right-hander is a relief pitcher with a big arm. He made nine appearances with the Giants last season, but has pitched exclusively in Triple-A this year, posting a 3.89 ERA and 46/13 K/BB ratio over 39 1/3 innings.
11:15 a.m. ET: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Giants will acquire Peavy from the Red Sox. No word yet on what Boston will receive in return, but it’s expected to be minor league pitchers.
11:07 a.m. ET: According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Giants are close to acquiring Peavy. However, details are still being worked on.
10:59 a.m. ET: Jen Royle of the Boston Herald reports that the Red Sox are close to trading right-hander Jake Peavy to a National League team. However, she also adds that “lots of things need to happen” before it gets done.
While the Cardinals were rumored as a possible destination earlier this month, Royle hears that he’s not going to St. Louis. Her best guesses are the Giants or Brewers. For what it’s worth, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal hears that the Red Sox and Giants were having “serious discussions” about Peavy yesterday.
Peavy, 33, has posted a 4.72 ERA and 100/46 K/BB ratio over 124 innings this season. He’s due to be a free agent this winter.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)