Jul 26, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is now official. Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox will pick up just over half of the roughly $5 million remaining on Peavy’s contract for this season. That explains why they got something of quality in return.
As for Peavy, he will make his Giants debut tomorrow night against the Dodgers.
12:01 p.m. ET: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Red Sox will receive prospect pitchers Edwin Escobar and Heath Hembree in return. Both are pretty legit prospects, but it helps that the Red Sox are apparently sending some money to the Giants in the deal.
Escobar, a 22-year-old left-hander, was No. 56 on Baseball America‘s preseason list and has posted a 5.11 ERA and 96/37 K/BB ratio over 111 innings this season with Triple-A Fresno. Hembree, a 25-year-old right-hander is a relief pitcher with a big arm. He made nine appearances with the Giants last season, but has pitched exclusively in Triple-A this year, posting a 3.89 ERA and 46/13 K/BB ratio over 39 1/3 innings.
11:15 a.m. ET: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Giants will acquire Peavy from the Red Sox. No word yet on what Boston will receive in return, but it’s expected to be minor league pitchers.
11:07 a.m. ET: According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Giants are close to acquiring Peavy. However, details are still being worked on.
10:59 a.m. ET: Jen Royle of the Boston Herald reports that the Red Sox are close to trading right-hander Jake Peavy to a National League team. However, she also adds that “lots of things need to happen” before it gets done.
While the Cardinals were rumored as a possible destination earlier this month, Royle hears that he’s not going to St. Louis. Her best guesses are the Giants or Brewers. For what it’s worth, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal hears that the Red Sox and Giants were having “serious discussions” about Peavy yesterday.
Peavy, 33, has posted a 4.72 ERA and 100/46 K/BB ratio over 124 innings this season. He’s due to be a free agent this winter.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 15
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)