Jul 26, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is now official. Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox will pick up just over half of the roughly $5 million remaining on Peavy’s contract for this season. That explains why they got something of quality in return.
As for Peavy, he will make his Giants debut tomorrow night against the Dodgers.
12:01 p.m. ET: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Red Sox will receive prospect pitchers Edwin Escobar and Heath Hembree in return. Both are pretty legit prospects, but it helps that the Red Sox are apparently sending some money to the Giants in the deal.
Escobar, a 22-year-old left-hander, was No. 56 on Baseball America‘s preseason list and has posted a 5.11 ERA and 96/37 K/BB ratio over 111 innings this season with Triple-A Fresno. Hembree, a 25-year-old right-hander is a relief pitcher with a big arm. He made nine appearances with the Giants last season, but has pitched exclusively in Triple-A this year, posting a 3.89 ERA and 46/13 K/BB ratio over 39 1/3 innings.
11:15 a.m. ET: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Giants will acquire Peavy from the Red Sox. No word yet on what Boston will receive in return, but it’s expected to be minor league pitchers.
11:07 a.m. ET: According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Giants are close to acquiring Peavy. However, details are still being worked on.
10:59 a.m. ET: Jen Royle of the Boston Herald reports that the Red Sox are close to trading right-hander Jake Peavy to a National League team. However, she also adds that “lots of things need to happen” before it gets done.
While the Cardinals were rumored as a possible destination earlier this month, Royle hears that he’s not going to St. Louis. Her best guesses are the Giants or Brewers. For what it’s worth, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal hears that the Red Sox and Giants were having “serious discussions” about Peavy yesterday.
Peavy, 33, has posted a 4.72 ERA and 100/46 K/BB ratio over 124 innings this season. He’s due to be a free agent this winter.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)