Jul 26, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
UPDATE: The deal is now official. Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox will pick up just over half of the roughly $5 million remaining on Peavy’s contract for this season. That explains why they got something of quality in return.
As for Peavy, he will make his Giants debut tomorrow night against the Dodgers.
12:01 p.m. ET: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Red Sox will receive prospect pitchers Edwin Escobar and Heath Hembree in return. Both are pretty legit prospects, but it helps that the Red Sox are apparently sending some money to the Giants in the deal.
Escobar, a 22-year-old left-hander, was No. 56 on Baseball America‘s preseason list and has posted a 5.11 ERA and 96/37 K/BB ratio over 111 innings this season with Triple-A Fresno. Hembree, a 25-year-old right-hander is a relief pitcher with a big arm. He made nine appearances with the Giants last season, but has pitched exclusively in Triple-A this year, posting a 3.89 ERA and 46/13 K/BB ratio over 39 1/3 innings.
11:15 a.m. ET: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Giants will acquire Peavy from the Red Sox. No word yet on what Boston will receive in return, but it’s expected to be minor league pitchers.
11:07 a.m. ET: According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Giants are close to acquiring Peavy. However, details are still being worked on.
10:59 a.m. ET: Jen Royle of the Boston Herald reports that the Red Sox are close to trading right-hander Jake Peavy to a National League team. However, she also adds that “lots of things need to happen” before it gets done.
While the Cardinals were rumored as a possible destination earlier this month, Royle hears that he’s not going to St. Louis. Her best guesses are the Giants or Brewers. For what it’s worth, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal hears that the Red Sox and Giants were having “serious discussions” about Peavy yesterday.
Peavy, 33, has posted a 4.72 ERA and 100/46 K/BB ratio over 124 innings this season. He’s due to be a free agent this winter.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)