Jul 27, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Maybe it’s Royals pitching, or maybe it’s Carlos Santana on a ridiculous hot streak. The Indians first baseman belted two more home runs in a win this afternoon, staving off a four-game series sweep at the hands of the Royals. Even if the Indians had been swept, it certainly wouldn’t have been Santana’s fault. Check out how he fared at the dish in all four games.
Thursday (L, 2-1, 14 innings): 2-for-4, 2 BB
Friday (L, 6-4): 2-for-3, BB, 2 HR, 3 RBI
Saturday (L, 7-5): 2-for-4, BB, 2B, HR, RBI
Sunday (W, 10-3): 3-for-3, BB, 2 HR, 4 RBI
Total: 9-for-14, 5 BB, 2B, 5 HR, 8 RBI
Santana entered the series with a .751 OPS and he exits it with an .827 OPS.
Carlos Santana this week: .609 batting average, .690 on-base percentage, 1.522 slugging percentage, 2.212 OPS, 6 HR, 10 RBI
— Zack Meisel (@ZackMeisel) July 27, 2014
Santana’s 2014 is even more remarkable than that, however. He began the season terribly, bringing a .628 OPS towards the end of May before missing a week with a concussion. He had six home runs and 17 RBI through the end of May. In the two months since, including today’s effort, he has hit 14 home runs and driven in 33.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)