Jul 27, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe it’s Royals pitching, or maybe it’s Carlos Santana on a ridiculous hot streak. The Indians first baseman belted two more home runs in a win this afternoon, staving off a four-game series sweep at the hands of the Royals. Even if the Indians had been swept, it certainly wouldn’t have been Santana’s fault. Check out how he fared at the dish in all four games.
Thursday (L, 2-1, 14 innings): 2-for-4, 2 BB
Friday (L, 6-4): 2-for-3, BB, 2 HR, 3 RBI
Saturday (L, 7-5): 2-for-4, BB, 2B, HR, RBI
Sunday (W, 10-3): 3-for-3, BB, 2 HR, 4 RBI
Total: 9-for-14, 5 BB, 2B, 5 HR, 8 RBI
Santana entered the series with a .751 OPS and he exits it with an .827 OPS.
Carlos Santana this week: .609 batting average, .690 on-base percentage, 1.522 slugging percentage, 2.212 OPS, 6 HR, 10 RBI
— Zack Meisel (@ZackMeisel) July 27, 2014
Santana’s 2014 is even more remarkable than that, however. He began the season terribly, bringing a .628 OPS towards the end of May before missing a week with a concussion. He had six home runs and 17 RBI through the end of May. In the two months since, including today’s effort, he has hit 14 home runs and driven in 33.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)