Jul 27, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe it’s Royals pitching, or maybe it’s Carlos Santana on a ridiculous hot streak. The Indians first baseman belted two more home runs in a win this afternoon, staving off a four-game series sweep at the hands of the Royals. Even if the Indians had been swept, it certainly wouldn’t have been Santana’s fault. Check out how he fared at the dish in all four games.
Thursday (L, 2-1, 14 innings): 2-for-4, 2 BB
Friday (L, 6-4): 2-for-3, BB, 2 HR, 3 RBI
Saturday (L, 7-5): 2-for-4, BB, 2B, HR, RBI
Sunday (W, 10-3): 3-for-3, BB, 2 HR, 4 RBI
Total: 9-for-14, 5 BB, 2B, 5 HR, 8 RBI
Santana entered the series with a .751 OPS and he exits it with an .827 OPS.
Carlos Santana this week: .609 batting average, .690 on-base percentage, 1.522 slugging percentage, 2.212 OPS, 6 HR, 10 RBI
— Zack Meisel (@ZackMeisel) July 27, 2014
Santana’s 2014 is even more remarkable than that, however. He began the season terribly, bringing a .628 OPS towards the end of May before missing a week with a concussion. He had six home runs and 17 RBI through the end of May. In the two months since, including today’s effort, he has hit 14 home runs and driven in 33.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 6
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)