Jul 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
In a pair of predictable and related roster moves, the Padres are expected to activate second baseman Jedd Gyorko from the 15-day disabled list and place outfielder Carlos Quentin on the 15-day disabled list, MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports. Infielder Brooks Conrad will also be optioned to Triple-A El Paso.
Gyorko has been on the disabled list since June 4 with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. The 25-year-old was having a miserable season, owning a paltry .162/.213/.270 slash line with five home runs and 24 RBI in 221 plate appearances.
Quentin has been bothered by soreness in his left knee and has started only three of nine games since the All-Star break. The 31-year-old has only accrued 155 plate appearances this season due to yet more health issues. He has an uninspiring .177/.284/.315 slash line with four home runs and 18 RBI.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 3
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 73
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)