Jul 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
In a pair of predictable and related roster moves, the Padres are expected to activate second baseman Jedd Gyorko from the 15-day disabled list and place outfielder Carlos Quentin on the 15-day disabled list, MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports. Infielder Brooks Conrad will also be optioned to Triple-A El Paso.
Gyorko has been on the disabled list since June 4 with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. The 25-year-old was having a miserable season, owning a paltry .162/.213/.270 slash line with five home runs and 24 RBI in 221 plate appearances.
Quentin has been bothered by soreness in his left knee and has started only three of nine games since the All-Star break. The 31-year-old has only accrued 155 plate appearances this season due to yet more health issues. He has an uninspiring .177/.284/.315 slash line with four home runs and 18 RBI.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)