Jul 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
In a pair of predictable and related roster moves, the Padres are expected to activate second baseman Jedd Gyorko from the 15-day disabled list and place outfielder Carlos Quentin on the 15-day disabled list, MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports. Infielder Brooks Conrad will also be optioned to Triple-A El Paso.
Gyorko has been on the disabled list since June 4 with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. The 25-year-old was having a miserable season, owning a paltry .162/.213/.270 slash line with five home runs and 24 RBI in 221 plate appearances.
Quentin has been bothered by soreness in his left knee and has started only three of nine games since the All-Star break. The 31-year-old has only accrued 155 plate appearances this season due to yet more health issues. He has an uninspiring .177/.284/.315 slash line with four home runs and 18 RBI.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)