Jul 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
In a pair of predictable and related roster moves, the Padres are expected to activate second baseman Jedd Gyorko from the 15-day disabled list and place outfielder Carlos Quentin on the 15-day disabled list, MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports. Infielder Brooks Conrad will also be optioned to Triple-A El Paso.
Gyorko has been on the disabled list since June 4 with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. The 25-year-old was having a miserable season, owning a paltry .162/.213/.270 slash line with five home runs and 24 RBI in 221 plate appearances.
Quentin has been bothered by soreness in his left knee and has started only three of nine games since the All-Star break. The 31-year-old has only accrued 155 plate appearances this season due to yet more health issues. He has an uninspiring .177/.284/.315 slash line with four home runs and 18 RBI.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)