Jul 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
In a pair of predictable and related roster moves, the Padres are expected to activate second baseman Jedd Gyorko from the 15-day disabled list and place outfielder Carlos Quentin on the 15-day disabled list, MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports. Infielder Brooks Conrad will also be optioned to Triple-A El Paso.
Gyorko has been on the disabled list since June 4 with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. The 25-year-old was having a miserable season, owning a paltry .162/.213/.270 slash line with five home runs and 24 RBI in 221 plate appearances.
Quentin has been bothered by soreness in his left knee and has started only three of nine games since the All-Star break. The 31-year-old has only accrued 155 plate appearances this season due to yet more health issues. He has an uninspiring .177/.284/.315 slash line with four home runs and 18 RBI.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (202)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)