Jul 27, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes reports that the Red Sox are considering trading for Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, including in a deal that would involve starter Jon Lester. Lester is eligible for free agency after the season, but recently said he would be willing to return to the team even if they trade him.
Kemp’s contract and injury history, of course, are two major concerns for any team interested in trading for him. The 29-year-old is in the third year of an eight-year, $160 million contract. $107 million remains between 2015-19. Kemp has undergone surgical procedures on his ankle and shoulder, playing in just 179 total games between 2012-13. This season, he is slashing .273/.339/.429 with eight home runs and 40 RBI while playing all three outfield positions.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 36
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 57
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)