Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Jul 27, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

clayton kershaw getty Getty Images

The Dodgers are back on top in the NL West.

Clayton Kershaw allowed just two hits and a walk over nine shutout innings and Adrian Gonzalez finished 3-for-5 with two doubles as Los Angeles dominated the host Giants on Saturday night in San Francisco. Kershaw now has a 0.69 ERA in 78 2/3 career innings at AT&T Park and his 2014 season ERA is down to an MLB-best 1.76 through 112 1/3 innings this year. Gonzalez had a rough first half but is now 13-for-31 (.420) with five extra-base hits and eight RBI in eight games since the All-Star break.

The Dodgers will look to put some distance between themselves and the Giants in Sunday night’s series finale.

It’ll be Hyun-Jin Ryu versus new Giants starter Jake Peavy.

Your box scores and recaps from Saturday …

Blue Jays 6, Yankees 4

Cardinals 6, Cubs 3

Nationals 0, Reds 1

Orioles 3, Mariners 4

Diamondbacks 10, Phillies 6 (10 innings)

Indians 5, Royals 7

Mets 2, Brewers 5

White Sox 7, Twins 0

Padres 3, Braves 5

Marlins 7, Astros 3

Red Sox 0, Rays 3

Athletics 5, Rangers 1

Pirates 1, Rockies 8

Tigers 0, Angels 4

Dodgers 5, Giants 0

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Congratulations to Tampa Bay for their 9th win in a row. Trading rice just became even more problematical. The Red Sox have ne followed a 5 game winning streak with a 5 game losing streak. Red Sox players will probably be nervous prior to the trade deadline. Will the Dodgers counter Peavy with a trade for Lester?

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Darn typo. “Price” not rice. I am having trouble with my keyboard this morning.

• baberuthslegs - Jul 27, 2014 at 9:30 AM

That happens to me too, especially when I press, or fail to press, certain keys.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 27, 2014 at 10:53 AM

If only we had some kind of functionality that automatically corrected our typos. I’m sure nothing could go wrong with such an idea.

• natstowngreg - Jul 27, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I’ve heard of such a thing. It’s called an “edit function.” Seems handy.

I’m sure, if we ask nicely, Craig will get the folks at Word Press to provide it for us, since he loves us guys (or dudes, or whatevers) so much.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I’d stay out of the agriculture trading business, that’s what I would do. :-)

I don’t know what I do what I do if I’m the Rays. Just yesterday, I said the Rays are still sellers if the offer is right, but they keep winning, and I hope I am very wrong. As an unadulterated fan, I so want to keep Price–what is happening here is so exciting. We’ve gone from 25 – 42 (.373) on June 11 and 14 GB to 51 – 53 and 6.5 GB. This is a tale of two seasons in one. Even Matheny commented that the Rays team the Cards played this past week was not the team the Cardinals played in June. Can this continue? Does the pendulum always swing back?

Congrats to the Jays on finally breaking the unexplicable Yankee Stadium losing streak. About time!

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Against, Webster today, the Rays have a good chance to make it 10 in a row.

• indaburg - Jul 27, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I hope so. I’m going to today’s game. This kid Webster sounds like he has good stuff, just trouble with control.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Enjoy yourself.

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I wrote about the Jays game last night. This morning, I noted that a couple of local headline writers agreed with me that the Yankee Stadium curse had been broken.

• uyf1950 - Jul 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Saturday it was the Jays turn to “turn the table” on the Yankees. Same score as Friday’s game just this time the Jays were on top. Good luck to both teams today in the rubber match. Hopefully the Yankees get the win today. I’m guessing you don’t share my view about the Yankees winning today.

• miguelcairo - Jul 27, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I think if Shane Greene can find a way to throw to first base successfully, NY has a shot!

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM

A very good guess.

• uyf1950 - Jul 27, 2014 at 10:00 AM

@ Miguel, I think they have more then a shot as long as they pitch around Bautista. He’s been to damn good against the Yankees.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Greene will be facing a lot of left handed hitters. The Jays will probably start 5 left hand hitters, 3 switch hitters and Bautista.

3. Francisco (FC) - Jul 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I feel like Wheatley from Portal… if I don’t see an ATH recap after a day’s worth of games I develop this itch I can’t scratch.

4. notsofast10 - Jul 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM

The article is about Kershaw and the Dodgers…..why all the comments about the Rays?

• clydeserra - Jul 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM

its the saturday wrap up. Its about all the games

5. clydeserra - Jul 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM

The A’s won again. They won 2 of three against houston earlier in the week. its not especially satisfying. the angels keep winning. the teams they are playing are a mess. I expect to get a bunch more wins facing tx and houston for 9 games in a row. but it doesn’t feel good.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Hey!

• clydeserra - Jul 27, 2014 at 12:35 PM

start.scoring.RUNS!!

• APBA Guy - Jul 27, 2014 at 1:43 PM

As long as the A’s keep winning series, they’ll be fine. Yesterday’s assault against the right field stands in Texas produced 3 solo shots and a two-run job. Imagine, almost nobody on base for the A’s when they went deep. Texas has only walked 1 in 18 innings this series.

6. historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Beautiful Brad was tossed for the second time as manager last night, and I so wish Vin Scully was there to read lips for me. I’m pretty sure BB told the Mustache Man that it was fertilizer — and maybe even that the call should experience sexual congress. I’ve never seen him so mad. He was so mad, he stalked out there with a page from his notebook and waved it around while he yelled and made angry eyes. It was a total nerdsplosion. Afterwards, he stalked back down to the dugout and slid his notebook page back in with utter disgust. His beef? The Angels took too long to challenge the play for review. I’m so glad we’ve removed the human element on this.

Aside from that, the Tigers put up no fireworks. Verlander was good; our stars didn’t hit much of nothing. Their stars didn’t either though. Aquaman struck out (just once this time) but didn’t do anything his other AB’s either. The lesser Angels found good spots to put hits and some bumbling on our parts meant they scored four. Soria’s debut in the OE D wasn’t stellar. I have better hopes for today. I’d like it if we split the series. Eat ‘em up, Tigers!

• clydeserra - Jul 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM

what made him mad?

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2014 at 12:49 PM

The Angels contested a play at first, but the next batter was already up when Scioscia finally came out to challenge — and BB pointed out that challenges are supposed to be made immediately. They had already gone on to the next AB, he argued. MLB’s take was that the catcher had not squared up fully yet, so they allowed the challenge.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM

A review of the video tells me I drank too much wine last night and confused plays…Embarrassing…

7. natstowngreg - Jul 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM

For the sake of a tiny bit of balance, a comment on a National League game.

Gio Gonzalez and Johnny Cueto staged an old-fashioned pitchers’ duel in the Reds’ bandbox. Though the old-fashioned pitching duel has made something of a comeback the past couple of seasons. Alas, Cueto was slightly better. The Nats’ lead drops to 1.5, while the Reds get back over .500.

The real news from Cincinnati, however, is the Racing Presidents’ appearance. For the first time, they are performing in a visiting park, not racing home team mascots. [The guys make an annual trip to Pittsburgh to compete against the Racing Pierogies.] Bill (Taft) won in his hometown Friday, while Bill’s rival Teddy (Roosevelt) won yesterday.

• historiophiliac - Jul 27, 2014 at 1:40 PM

If Tubby Taft won, the fix was in.

• natstowngreg - Jul 27, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Presidents’ races involve a lot of pushing and shoving. And, sad to say, a lot of cheating. Yes, Honesty Abe isn’t that honest. It’s the little-known shame of Nats Town.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2843)