Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
This doesn’t sound like a promising development.
According to Nick Groke of the Denver Post, star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki flew to Philadelphia on Saturday afternoon to visit Dr. William Meyers about his linger left hip injury. Meyers performed a sports hernia surgery on Tulowitzki in 2012 — a season in which Tulo appeared in only 47 games.
Tulowitzki’s latest injury is not thought to be hernia-related, but he hasn’t made any progress in his early rehab efforts and wanted to get a second opinion from a specialist who is familiar with his lower body.
The 29-year-old was batting .340/.432/.603 with 21 home runs and 52 RBI in 91 games before suffering the injury — perhaps en route to his first career National League MVP. Adding insult to injury, the Rockies’ promotional staff distributed giveaway jerseys on Saturday night that had his name spelled incorrectly.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 69
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 112
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)