Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
This doesn’t sound like a promising development.
According to Nick Groke of the Denver Post, star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki flew to Philadelphia on Saturday afternoon to visit Dr. William Meyers about his linger left hip injury. Meyers performed a sports hernia surgery on Tulowitzki in 2012 — a season in which Tulo appeared in only 47 games.
Tulowitzki’s latest injury is not thought to be hernia-related, but he hasn’t made any progress in his early rehab efforts and wanted to get a second opinion from a specialist who is familiar with his lower body.
The 29-year-old was batting .340/.432/.603 with 21 home runs and 52 RBI in 91 games before suffering the injury — perhaps en route to his first career National League MVP. Adding insult to injury, the Rockies’ promotional staff distributed giveaway jerseys on Saturday night that had his name spelled incorrectly.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 43
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)