A lost Red Sox World Series ring leads to some good things for a Yankees fan

Jul 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 4.43.30 PM AP

This is cool: Drew Weber, owner of the Red Sox’ class-A Lowell Spinners team, was given a 2013 World Series ring by the parent club. The first time he wears it out in public he leaves it in a bar. The bar’s owner, Luigi Militello, is a big Yankees fan. He finds the ring. Think of all of the things one could do in that situation!

Ah, not really. What else can a decent person do besides return it? Which the bar owner did. And it worked out nicely for him:

Militello was insistent that he wouldn’t accept any money. He tried to persuade Weber to call into a local sports radio show and disparage the Red Sox, but that didn’t work.

Instead, Weber and the Red Sox have invited Militello to make his first trip to Fenway Park for the regular-season finale on Sept. 28. That’s also scheduled to be the final game for retiring Yankees star Derek Jeter.

Oh, and Militello got Weber to make a donation to a Superstorm Sandy charity too. So it worked out nicely for lots of people.

Such a good ending. So much better than what may have happened if people who actually took Red Sox-Yankees rivalry stuff as if it were life and death were involved.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:26 PM

“Oh this ugly thing? I was going to use it as a door stop or find the owner. Found the owner first.”

2. SocraticGadfly - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Ahh, a minor sob piece.

Call me when A-Rod finds a ring that Varitek lost.

3. Glenn - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM

What would Putin do?

4. theravenmaniac - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Wow that guy has a good grasp on what is life and death and what a sport is.

5. tigers182 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:47 PM

I found a rare stone at the bottom of Snowflake’s tank.

6. historiophiliac - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Once, I was on a flight seated next to one of the bench players from the famed Chicago Bulls dynasty. He handed over his three-peat ring for me to look at. It was impressive, I must say. It was a lot heavier than I imagined — and no, it didn’t even fit on my thumb. He was a big dude.

Orioles turn AL East on its head