Jul 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
This is cool: Drew Weber, owner of the Red Sox’ class-A Lowell Spinners team, was given a 2013 World Series ring by the parent club. The first time he wears it out in public he leaves it in a bar. The bar’s owner, Luigi Militello, is a big Yankees fan. He finds the ring. Think of all of the things one could do in that situation!
Ah, not really. What else can a decent person do besides return it? Which the bar owner did. And it worked out nicely for him:
Militello was insistent that he wouldn’t accept any money. He tried to persuade Weber to call into a local sports radio show and disparage the Red Sox, but that didn’t work.
Instead, Weber and the Red Sox have invited Militello to make his first trip to Fenway Park for the regular-season finale on Sept. 28. That’s also scheduled to be the final game for retiring Yankees star Derek Jeter.
Oh, and Militello got Weber to make a donation to a Superstorm Sandy charity too. So it worked out nicely for lots of people.
Such a good ending. So much better than what may have happened if people who actually took Red Sox-Yankees rivalry stuff as if it were life and death were involved.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)