Jul 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
This is cool: Drew Weber, owner of the Red Sox’ class-A Lowell Spinners team, was given a 2013 World Series ring by the parent club. The first time he wears it out in public he leaves it in a bar. The bar’s owner, Luigi Militello, is a big Yankees fan. He finds the ring. Think of all of the things one could do in that situation!
Ah, not really. What else can a decent person do besides return it? Which the bar owner did. And it worked out nicely for him:
Militello was insistent that he wouldn’t accept any money. He tried to persuade Weber to call into a local sports radio show and disparage the Red Sox, but that didn’t work.
Instead, Weber and the Red Sox have invited Militello to make his first trip to Fenway Park for the regular-season finale on Sept. 28. That’s also scheduled to be the final game for retiring Yankees star Derek Jeter.
Oh, and Militello got Weber to make a donation to a Superstorm Sandy charity too. So it worked out nicely for lots of people.
Such a good ending. So much better than what may have happened if people who actually took Red Sox-Yankees rivalry stuff as if it were life and death were involved.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)