Jul 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
This is cool: Drew Weber, owner of the Red Sox’ class-A Lowell Spinners team, was given a 2013 World Series ring by the parent club. The first time he wears it out in public he leaves it in a bar. The bar’s owner, Luigi Militello, is a big Yankees fan. He finds the ring. Think of all of the things one could do in that situation!
Ah, not really. What else can a decent person do besides return it? Which the bar owner did. And it worked out nicely for him:
Militello was insistent that he wouldn’t accept any money. He tried to persuade Weber to call into a local sports radio show and disparage the Red Sox, but that didn’t work.
Instead, Weber and the Red Sox have invited Militello to make his first trip to Fenway Park for the regular-season finale on Sept. 28. That’s also scheduled to be the final game for retiring Yankees star Derek Jeter.
Oh, and Militello got Weber to make a donation to a Superstorm Sandy charity too. So it worked out nicely for lots of people.
Such a good ending. So much better than what may have happened if people who actually took Red Sox-Yankees rivalry stuff as if it were life and death were involved.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 21
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)