Jul 28, 2014, 5:17 PM EST
A’s outfielder Craig Gentry began the season on the disabled list with a back injury and now, after hitting just .264 with zero homers and a .625 OPS in 80 games, he’s going on the shelf again with a broken right hand.
Coco Crisp is also currently banged up and could end up needing a disabled list stint of his own for ongoing beck problems, so the A’s have called up Double-A center fielder Billy Burns.
Burns, who was acquired from the Nationals this winter in exchange for left-hander Jerry Blevins, hit just .250 with one homer and a .662 OPS in 91 games at Double-A. However, despite not getting on base much Burns did swipe 51 bases while being caught just five times, so he fills Gentry’s role as a defensive-minded speedster.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (77)