Jul 28, 2014, 5:17 PM EST
A’s outfielder Craig Gentry began the season on the disabled list with a back injury and now, after hitting just .264 with zero homers and a .625 OPS in 80 games, he’s going on the shelf again with a broken right hand.
Coco Crisp is also currently banged up and could end up needing a disabled list stint of his own for ongoing beck problems, so the A’s have called up Double-A center fielder Billy Burns.
Burns, who was acquired from the Nationals this winter in exchange for left-hander Jerry Blevins, hit just .250 with one homer and a .662 OPS in 91 games at Double-A. However, despite not getting on base much Burns did swipe 51 bases while being caught just five times, so he fills Gentry’s role as a defensive-minded speedster.
- Report: Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 15
- The Matt Kemp trade is expected to go down as planned 3
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 75
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)