Jul 28, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
It’s not a big deal, but the Blue Jays and Royals have pulled off a trade this evening which will send infielder Danny Valencia to Toronto and catcher Erik Kratz and right-hander Liam Hendriks to Kansas City.
Valencia, 29, is batting .282/.328/.382 with two home runs and 11 RBI over 119 plate appearances this season. While he does most of his damage against left-handed pitching, he could see semi-regular playing time at third base until Brett Lawrie is ready to return from a fractured right index finger.
Kratz has hit just .198/226/.346 in 84 plate appearances at the major league level this season, but he slugged 18 home runs over 118 games with the Phillies from 2012-2013. At the very least, he has a chance to be an upgrade over Brett Hayes as Salvador Perez‘s backup. Hendriks, 25, owns an ugly 6.06 over 31 starts and two relief appearances in the majors. With a 2.33 ERA in Triple-A this year, he’ll serve as rotation depth with his new club.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)