Jul 28, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Some encouraging news and some less-than-good news for the Giants this evening.
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com passes along word that first baseman Brandon Belt passed a concussion test and could begin working out today. Meanwhile, catcher Hector Sanchez failed his and will now have to wait another three or four days.
Belt suffered his concussion after he was hit in the face by a thrown ball during batting practice last Saturday. He wasn’t feeling any improvement as of a few days ago, so today is an important step in the right direction. The 26-year-old has already missed two months this season due to a broken thumb, but he could be a major contributor down the stretch if he can stay on the field.
Sanchez landed on the 7-day concussion disabled list after he was hit in the mask by a foul tip on Friday. The Giants are currently going with rookie Andrew Susac as Buster Posey‘s backup catcher.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)