Felix Doubront tells the Red Sox: Start me or trade me

Jul 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EST

World Series - Boston Red Sox v St Louis Cardinals - Game Four Getty Images

First baseman/outfielder Mike Carp has asked the Red Sox for a trade and apparently left-hander Felix Doubront wouldn’t mind leaving Boston either.

Doubront has been pitching out of the bullpen for about six weeks and after the Red Sox decided not to shift him back to the rotation following the Jake Peavy trade he went public with wanting to either become a starter again or be traded to a team willing to put him into their rotation.

Here’s what Doubront told Jason Mastrodonato of MassLive.com:

I just want to be a starter and stay there. If I stay, they have to know I have to be a starter. If I go, the other team is going to give me this chance to be a starter. … The thing is, if they say I have to prove myself, I already did man. It’s [messed] up. So if these guys say I have to pitch to prove whatever, no, they already know what I have. I showed them what I have, as a reliever and as a starter. For me, they don’t see the numbers, they don’t care what I’ve done in the past. It’s hard to be happy like that with these guys.

Here’s the thing, though: Those numbers Doubront refers to as “proving” himself aren’t any good. Doubront has a 4.47 ERA in 69 career starts, which is fourth or fifth starter territory and not particularly valuable, although so far at least he’s been even worse in the bullpen.

Meanwhile, manager John Farrell says:

There’s a clear role for him in the bullpen and sometimes performance guides where you’re slotted.

In other words, the Red Sox no longer think he’s good enough to be in the rotation, which is interesting because Doubront was a full-time starter in 2012 and 2013.

He’s still just 26 years old and under team control through 2017, so presumably at least a few teams would be interested in taking Doubront off the Red Sox’s hands and giving him the starting role he wants.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM

There seems to be much unhappiness within the Red Sox. Lester for example, indicated that he would not be upset if he was traded.

• clydeserra - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM

everyone was so tight last year?? WHAT HAPPENED????

I for the life of me can’t see the difference in seasons 2012, 2013 and 2014.

I guess we’ll never know.

• chip56 - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Winning = chemistry vs. chemistry = winning

• indaburg - Jul 28, 2014 at 12:26 PM

As much as I’d like to think there’s a lot of unhappiness within the Red Sox, that’s not exactly accurate, pc. What Lester said is he would like to return to Boston if he was traded now–that there would be no hard feelings if he was traded.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I suspect that was just saying that to encourage the Sox to trade him. I would be shocked if he returned to Boston next season.

• indaburg - Jul 28, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I don’t know. It wouldn’t make sense to say he’s opening to returning. He would just say, “Trade me.”

• psousa1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:21 PM

No he indicated he would be open to re-signing with Boston if he was traded.

• drewzducks - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:17 PM

“pc” also stands for poor comprehension

2. bostonian13 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Really Doubront??? After so many chances to prove yourself, you haven’t earned the right to “stay as a starter”. If he feels that way, he can go.

3. Glenn - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Doubrant has been treated very well by the Sox. They see his potential and gave him every opportunity to succeed as a starter (and will again). They won’t give up on a young lefty. He pitched himself out of the rotation this year.

• playball - Jul 28, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I don’t see him having a rotation spot because he isn’t a true starter. He is a good long man. As a starter, after a few innings, the fatigue sets in and watching the game, it is time to take a Tums. He’s under contract for long enough that he can complain all he wants, but the RS own him and I’d keep him as that bullpen guy.
      He’s not a good enough lefty, no matter how old he is. Maybe he can work on it, but he’s got to know he needs to.

4. xpensivewinos - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Ummmmmm, yeah. But, you suck so we can’t get anything for you.

What says you to that, Felix?

5. chip56 - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Doubront and Mike Carp asking for more playing time or trades is kinda funny…it’s hard to trade them for the same reason it’s hard to play them – they aren’t very good.

6. denbish - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Welllll Felix….if you brought some level of conditioning with you to spring training…perhaps we wouldn’t be staring at your era around 7.00 and you might actually have some worth in the trade market.

7. 18thstreet - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

If he had a better agent, this wouldn’t be in the news. He should have been advised to keep his mouth shut and made the request, discretely, through his agent to the front office.

Of course he wants to be traded. There’s no place for him in Boston. I’m sure that another team will take a flyer on him. Lefties are hard to find.

8. sixchr - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Doubront’s strongest point in his time with the Red Sox was late in the postseason last year coming out of the bullpen. He had some big appearances in the World Series and was extremely effective. As a starter he’s been mediocre. Start or trade? Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

9. yahmule - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:41 AM

The guy has pitched a handful of low leverage situations over the last month plus. Does anyone think the Red Sox care about his latest griping session?

10. twalton95 - Jul 28, 2014 at 12:51 PM

As a Red Sox fan see ya Felix, we can find someone else who tops out at 90mph and has 100 pitches after 5 innings.

11. edelmanfanclub - Jul 28, 2014 at 2:18 PM

All he has proved is he has potential and is inconsistent.

2012/2013/2014 ERA

Apr- 4.09, 4.24, 6.00
    May- 3.71, 6.23, 4.15
    Jun- 5.86, 2.75, 4.05
    Jul- 3.86, 2.56, 7.11
    Aug- 8.16, 3.64
    Sept- 5.13, 9.77

This isn’t like Tommy Millone asking for trade, Doubront has really underperformed.
    Career wise: 26-22 4.70 ERA, 1.46 WHIP, 3.97 BB/9, 88 ERA+. He is out of options or he’d be at
    Pawtucket right now. He’s lucky the Sox still think he can turn it around and don’t want to sell short on him.

12. irishlad19 - Jul 28, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Guys going nowhere with the Red Sox (Carp, Doubrant, Gomes, Drew, bullpen, maybe even Bucholtz) are leaving now or by next season.
    Some are smarter about keeping requests to be traded private, Doubrant is a knot head who can’t accept that he doesn’t deserve a starter role on a team with other young pitchers in the minors to try out.

13. psousa1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Farrell stuck with him when it was clear he should not be in the rotation. For every decent start he throws up 3 hairballs of a start. I’ll give him a ride to the airport if Boston can get anything decent in return.

Like most WS winning teams they had some guys who had career years – Nava hitting over .300, Victorino having a bounceback season, Pedroia, while it wasn’t his career year, was outstanding in every facet of the game and Ortiz had a good year and with the exception of Bucholz they remained healthy.

Nava, Carp and Gomes played LF and combined for around 30 HR’s. Injuries and the loss of Ellsbury have done them in. The pitching (with the exception of Doubront) has been good in both the rotation and bullpen

• rje49 - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:53 PM

I agree with you. But if their anemic hitting could score some runs, Doubront, Peavy, Buchholtz, etc. would all be considered adequate starters. A decent W/L record can mask a so-so ERA.

14. themuddychicken - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM

His line tonight:

0.2 IP 6H 6R 6ER 2BB 0K 1HR

That’ll help both his trade value and argument for getting a better shot, for sure.

• phipfwe76 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM

This is one of those times you wish you could “bump” and article back to the top.

15. drewsylvania - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Felix, you pitched your way OUT of the rotation. You don’t get any say.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester