Jul 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Greg Maddux was the best pitcher I’ve ever seen. He may also be the world’s oldest 12-year-old boy. From his Hall of Fame speech yesterday:
My brother, Mike, led by example. Everything I was about to do on and off the field, he had already done. I was very fortunate to have a brother that I could learn from. He even taught me a little bit about science. It has to do with a little methane and a lighter, and I still get a huge kick out of it today. That’s funny, huh. OK.
I am gonna guess that is the first Hall of Fame speech with a fart joke in it in the history of the institution.
Not that this is new for Maddux. His locker room antics have been talked about for years. I imagine there are a lot of dudes like him in baseball. There just aren’t a lot who have won over 350 games and have four Cy Youngs.
UPDATE: I just read that and I fear I came off judgmental or something (crazy for me, I know). To be clear: I find this to be wonderful. I have a nine-year-old son and there is something amazing about a well-crafted fart joke. And I am always — always! — in favor of someone introducing some humor, levity and occasional immaturity into proceedings everyone else treats like church. That goes for baseball games, locker rooms and especially the Hall of Fame.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 85
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 68
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 70
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 73
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)