Jul 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Greg Maddux was the best pitcher I’ve ever seen. He may also be the world’s oldest 12-year-old boy. From his Hall of Fame speech yesterday:
My brother, Mike, led by example. Everything I was about to do on and off the field, he had already done. I was very fortunate to have a brother that I could learn from. He even taught me a little bit about science. It has to do with a little methane and a lighter, and I still get a huge kick out of it today. That’s funny, huh. OK.
I am gonna guess that is the first Hall of Fame speech with a fart joke in it in the history of the institution.
Not that this is new for Maddux. His locker room antics have been talked about for years. I imagine there are a lot of dudes like him in baseball. There just aren’t a lot who have won over 350 games and have four Cy Youngs.
UPDATE: I just read that and I fear I came off judgmental or something (crazy for me, I know). To be clear: I find this to be wonderful. I have a nine-year-old son and there is something amazing about a well-crafted fart joke. And I am always — always! — in favor of someone introducing some humor, levity and occasional immaturity into proceedings everyone else treats like church. That goes for baseball games, locker rooms and especially the Hall of Fame.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)