Jul 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Greg Maddux was the best pitcher I’ve ever seen. He may also be the world’s oldest 12-year-old boy. From his Hall of Fame speech yesterday:
My brother, Mike, led by example. Everything I was about to do on and off the field, he had already done. I was very fortunate to have a brother that I could learn from. He even taught me a little bit about science. It has to do with a little methane and a lighter, and I still get a huge kick out of it today. That’s funny, huh. OK.
I am gonna guess that is the first Hall of Fame speech with a fart joke in it in the history of the institution.
Not that this is new for Maddux. His locker room antics have been talked about for years. I imagine there are a lot of dudes like him in baseball. There just aren’t a lot who have won over 350 games and have four Cy Youngs.
UPDATE: I just read that and I fear I came off judgmental or something (crazy for me, I know). To be clear: I find this to be wonderful. I have a nine-year-old son and there is something amazing about a well-crafted fart joke. And I am always — always! — in favor of someone introducing some humor, levity and occasional immaturity into proceedings everyone else treats like church. That goes for baseball games, locker rooms and especially the Hall of Fame.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 7
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)