Jul 28, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
The Indians are still alive in the playoff hunt — in fact, they are just 3 1/2 games back in the hyper-competitive AL Wild Card race at the start of tonight’s action — but Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports hears that they are “very willing to move” right-hander Justin Masterson in a potential trade.
Masterson has been sidelined since July 7 due to right knee inflammation, but he’s due to be activated for a start this Friday against the Rangers. Of course, the non-waiver trade deadline is this Thursday at 4 p.m. ET, so that complicates things a little bit, but doesn’t necessarily rule anything out before then. Deals can still get done in August too, but the process is trickier.
Masterson, an impending free agent, has posted a disappointing 5.51 ERA and 93/56 K/BB ratio in 98 innings across 18 starts this season. The Indians are said to be looking for “young, controllable starting pitching” in return.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)