Jul 28, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
The Indians are still alive in the playoff hunt — in fact, they are just 3 1/2 games back in the hyper-competitive AL Wild Card race at the start of tonight’s action — but Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports hears that they are “very willing to move” right-hander Justin Masterson in a potential trade.
Masterson has been sidelined since July 7 due to right knee inflammation, but he’s due to be activated for a start this Friday against the Rangers. Of course, the non-waiver trade deadline is this Thursday at 4 p.m. ET, so that complicates things a little bit, but doesn’t necessarily rule anything out before then. Deals can still get done in August too, but the process is trickier.
Masterson, an impending free agent, has posted a disappointing 5.51 ERA and 93/56 K/BB ratio in 98 innings across 18 starts this season. The Indians are said to be looking for “young, controllable starting pitching” in return.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)