Jul 28, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
The Indians are still alive in the playoff hunt — in fact, they are just 3 1/2 games back in the hyper-competitive AL Wild Card race at the start of tonight’s action — but Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports hears that they are “very willing to move” right-hander Justin Masterson in a potential trade.
Masterson has been sidelined since July 7 due to right knee inflammation, but he’s due to be activated for a start this Friday against the Rangers. Of course, the non-waiver trade deadline is this Thursday at 4 p.m. ET, so that complicates things a little bit, but doesn’t necessarily rule anything out before then. Deals can still get done in August too, but the process is trickier.
Masterson, an impending free agent, has posted a disappointing 5.51 ERA and 93/56 K/BB ratio in 98 innings across 18 starts this season. The Indians are said to be looking for “young, controllable starting pitching” in return.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)