Sleeping Yankees fan explains his lawsuit. And still isn’t convincing

Jul 28, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 7.23.03 AM

You’ll recall the guy who fell asleep at a Yankees-Red Sox game earlier this season and who is now suing ESPN and its announcers for allegedly making fun of him an ruining his reputation? Well, he went on the “Today” show to tell his side of the story. It’s not a great side.

He cites no specific thing anyone with ESPN said about him that might damage his reputation. Indeed, if you watch the video, you’ll see that it lasts one minute and fourteen seconds and that, while John Kruk and Dan Shulman noticed the guy, they said absolutely nothing anywhere close to over-the-line about him. His complaints on the “Today” show amounted to “they put me on YouTube!”

And then there’s this:

“Put yourself in my shoes,” Andrew Rector told Matt Lauer. “How would you feel if you were broadcast on TV and all over the media?”

Note: He’s saying this TO MATT LAUER ON NATIONAL TELEVISION.

At the end, however, he does strongly hint that he’s gonna drop his lawsuit, so there’s that at least.

1. Old Gator - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Whaddya wanna bet his lawsuit won’t hit the ground as hard as he would have if someone dropped him?

• 22yearsagotoday - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:55 AM

No worries. You must’ve heard that a lot recently.

• Old Gator - Jul 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Not really – I haven’t been in touch with my ex-wife in many years.

• jfk69 - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM

The lawyer that filed this suit is an ambulance chaser out in Queens. If this BOZO had any smarts he would have said the Yankee bats and offense put me to sleep and I need a refund.
      We would have laughed and loved the guy. Instead he comes across as my favorite clown….BOZO. Another social media loser looking to make the jump to reality TV.

• 78mu - Jul 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Gator:

I hope you’re right but the courts seem to let a lot of junk get in the door.

I was talking to an attorney in our firm about his representing a guy hit by a car. He was at a motel with a hooker and they ran out of booze and drugs. So he crossed on foot an interstate highway late at night in the dark to get more drugs. And got hit by three cars because he walked into traffic – on an eight lane highway. He lived but lost a leg.

I told the attorney that could have been any of us driving on that highway that night.

“So what” the attorney said. “He lost his leg”.

Fortunately one of the cars that hit him was driven by a Catholic nun and the jury ruled against him.

2. gigab0t - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Idiot

3. superturtle611 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:08 AM

So this guy is upset about being shown on TV, and shows his displeasure about being shown on TV by going on TV? Something tells me this guy likes seeing himself on TV

4. Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Can you just believe this lazy sleepy ass says? Pays big money, sleeps inside the stadium then got pissed cause he was on national tv? DONT SLEEP THEN DUMBASS, TAIDANA BAKAYARO 呀热 看哦你哦。。。吧卡!

• 22yearsagotoday - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Hari Kari time!

• dsaverno - Jul 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM

time to go get some Old Style at the bar?

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Sasebo is a good place for you my fellow 吧卡。

• jrbdmb - Jul 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I’m sure this would never happen at a NPB game.

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Words of truth my good man, words of truth.

5. toodrunktotastethischicken - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Nobody puts baby in the corner!

6. raysfan1 - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM

The quintessential frivolous lawsuit. The only damage to his reputation that occurred was by him acting like a jack wagon and filing the suit in the first place. 99% of us didn’t see/notice his minute or so on the air. Of those who did, probably 99% either didn’t care or promptly forgot about it until he filed suit.

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Not me. I thought about if for weeks and constantly told everyone about it

7. paperlions - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Ten times more people saw this because of his lawsuit than because of the initial broadcast.

• RickyB - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Much greater than 10 times even … this guy is simply ridiculous.

8. renaado - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:32 AM

If he’s just willing to spend big bucks just to sleep inside the stadium then… He’s certainly a certified idiot a$$****, why bother attendin a game then… if this is somethin, you’ll only do.

9. tfbuckfutter - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:47 AM

What a giant baby.

I don’t mean his lawsuit. I mean him in that picture.

10. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Somehow, these people didn’t sue. Of course, it was 14-1.

• nbjays - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:02 AM

True, Natslady, but he was wide awake and cheering for the 3 games the Jays did win.

11. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I think he should have tried crowdfunding, an idiegogo site could have raked in over $100,000 by now.

But to answer his hypothetical – how would I feel if that was me? I’d love it. Seriously. And I would squeeze every ounce out of that 15 minutes I could. It would be brought up in business settings all the time (I’m in sales) – “Hey, you ever see that guy who fell asleep at a ball game? That was me. No, really, it was! Here, I’ll show it to you on my phone”

But that’s me. Obviously Lumpy feels differently

12. pwshrugged - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Must be a slow week for the TODAY show if they’re featuring this guy for any length of time.

• 4d3fect - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Judging by the “content” I’d say every week was slow for them.

13. tvguy22 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Bad time for a sugar crash.

14. thegonz13 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Tick, tock, tick, tock…

Yeah, um, Sleepyhead? That noise is your 15 minutes of fame winding down!

15. 22yearsagotoday - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM

He shouldn’t complain: insomniacs everywhere are jealous to death.

• groupofsevenrules - Jul 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM

No, I would rather say that insomniacs are jealous OF death.

16. normcash - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

As an attorney myself, these kinds of lawsuits drive me crazy. They foster disgust and contempt for a profession in which 95% of the practitioners are hardworking and honest. Ultimately, though, I blame the courts and state bar disciplinary authorities for failing to discipline lawyers who file such cases.

• Old Gator - Jul 28, 2014 at 2:18 PM

The judges might help matters by getting off their lazy asses and chucking these things when they first cross their desks. They’re the first to whine about caseloads and the last to heave frivolous actions when they’re confronted with them. They foster not just contempt for the profession, but for the entire system, and confirm the proposition that judges are just lawyers who kissed all the right asses.

17. chiadam - Jul 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM

“They foster disgust and contempt for a profession in which 95% of the practitioners are hardworking and honest.”

..says the guy with”cash” in his name. Enjoy the 5%.

18. chiadam - Jul 28, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Anyway, he’s a big fat guy that falls asleep when he sits still for too long. Pump the brakes on the Wendy’s value meals and he may be able to stay awake for three hours.

19. zelinc - Jul 28, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Funny thing is, I don’t watch ESPN so first time I heard about this was after he came out with the lawsuit. If he didn’t do that I would’ve never known who he was.

20. jfk69 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Of course with that upgraded menu…He appears to me to have ate himself into a stupor. Just an observation. Was that special sauce he was drooling on himself?

21. zdravit - Jul 29, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Publicity stunt.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2891)