Jul 28, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
We heard yesterday that the Dodgers have been in touch with the Red Sox about a deal for left-hander Jon Lester, but they figure to have plenty of competition leading up to Thursday’s non-waiver trade deadline. FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal provide two other potential destinations:
The Orioles are a weird scenario to contemplate since they are in the same division as the Red Sox, but they could use an ace as much as anyone and they have a lot of young pitching in their pipeline. However, it’s unlikely they’ll part with someone like Dylan Bundy or Kevin Gausman for a rental and someone like Hunter Harvey or Eduardo Rodriguez might not be enough for Boston’s liking.
As for the Mariners, we have heard them linked to David Price in recent weeks, but the Rays may be less inclined to deal him now that they are playing better. They also have the option to wait until this offseason to find a deal. As Rosenthal points out, Lester would likely cost the Mariners less in the way of prospects than Price would have since he’ll be a free agent this winter. And that makes him an appealing alternative for Seattle. Still, the Red Sox will want something that they see as better than the value of a draft pick from a qualifying offer.
One thing’s for certain, the list of teams calling the Red Sox about Lester only figures to grow as the trade deadline draws closer.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20