The Mariners and Orioles have called the Red Sox about Jon Lester

Jul 28, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT

We heard yesterday that the Dodgers have been in touch with the Red Sox about a deal for left-hander Jon Lester, but they figure to have plenty of competition leading up to Thursday’s non-waiver trade deadline. FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal provide two other potential destinations:

The Orioles are a weird scenario to contemplate since they are in the same division as the Red Sox, but they could use an ace as much as anyone and they have a lot of young pitching in their pipeline. However, it’s unlikely they’ll part with someone like Dylan Bundy or Kevin Gausman for a rental and someone like Hunter Harvey or Eduardo Rodriguez might not be enough for Boston’s liking.

As for the Mariners, we have heard them linked to David Price in recent weeks, but the Rays may be less inclined to deal him now that they are playing better. They also have the option to wait until this offseason to find a deal. As Rosenthal points out, Lester would likely cost the Mariners less in the way of prospects than Price would have since he’ll be a free agent this winter. And that makes him an appealing alternative for Seattle. Still, the Red Sox will want something that they see as better than the value of a draft pick from a qualifying offer.

One thing’s for certain, the list of teams calling the Red Sox about Lester only figures to grow as the trade deadline draws closer.

1. djpostl - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Unless Lester can hit why the hell are the M’s still chasing an arm? They have a putrid offense.

Their staff, as is, can make a good run in the post-season but their offense cannot. You still have to manage to score some runs.

Taking it further, it’s not like the one good bat they have is known for making things happen in the post-season to boot.

2. hojo20 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Imagine if the Mariners got Lester or Price to make a 1-2 punch w/ Hernandez. Beating them in the play-in game or the ALDS would be a tall order.

3. gnrfan8804 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:40 PM

No! Seattle needs HITTING, not PITCHING. They have one the leagues stop pitching staffs, but cant hit a fat kid in dodgeball. Trade for a BAT!

4. gargamelsmentor - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:48 PM

The Orioles will NOT make a big time deal. We always get conveniently mentioned in talks, but we never actually pull the trigger….which I’m cool with. Whenever I see the Orioles come up in the same sentence as Lester, Price, etc….it makes me laugh. Bank on us getting a solid number 5 and a back up to the the back up catcher.

• nbjays - Jul 29, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Didn’t you make that big offseason acquisition of Ubaldo Jiminez? Be careful what you wish for…

• gargamelsmentor - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Ubaldo was a free agent signing, not a trade. I was speaking strictly from a trade standpoint. However, I’m in total agreement…wish we could undo that acquisition.

5. proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I suspect that nobody has called about Buchholz. Having watched Dubront tonight, I suspect that the Red Sox actually want to trade him but have been unsuccessful.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Doubront’s dilemma reminds me of the old joke about God and the lottery ticket. Guy keeps praying to win the lottery but it never happens. Finally he gets angry one night, and demands to know of God why his prayers aren’t being answered. God says “why don’t you do me a favor and buy a lottery ticket?”

• misterschmo - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Yep, I wish they would trade Buchholz and sign Lester. They haven’t called asking my opinion, though.

6. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Baltimore should go after Lackey for the entertainment factor alone

7. paperlions - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Who ever wants Lester is going to have to offer something more valuable than roughly the 30th overall pick in the 2015 MLB draft….because that is what the RS would get if they just keep him and lose him to FA.

8. slaugin - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:41 PM

What makes me upset is All the wasted money on the Red Sox roster this year (Victorino, Drew, Piezynsky, Capuano, Mujica, etc) and they are dicking around their ace that has been nothing but class since the day he got to the organization. This is the guy you want your young arms to learn from, he will be worth every penny in more ways than one. I don’t pay the highest ticket price in the league for the owners to pinch penny’s. Pay your guy!

9. 18thstreet - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Replying to Slaugin — it’s not about the money with Lester. It’s about the ownership’s lock-solid belief not to trust anyone over 30. They can afford him. They choose not to.

I’m not going to defend that nor criticize it. But it’s not about the money.

• ajsjr40 - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:09 AM

While I understand your point regarding the Sox and over 30 players it seems to me that Victorino, Drew, et al are all over 30. They have wasted millions this year and play games with Lester. It doesn’t make sense.

• 18thstreet - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I didn’t like the Victorino signing at all, but it worked out last year wonderfully. The contract has to be considered a success based on that. Anything gained in 2014 or 2015 is gravy.

As far as Mujica goes — that’s just relievers. They’re a crapshoot.

Capuano wasn’t expensive, and it gave the team a chance to leave the young pitchers in the minors for more seasoning. I think it was a smart move.

I wish they had kept Salty; I don’t understand at all what happened there. And Drew was obviously a mistake. But both AJP and Drew come off the books after this season, so they’re not handcuffing the team’s ability to do things in 2015 and beyond. The decision to keep Lester is not based on their ability to afford him — they obviously can.

The decision is based on what they think Lester will contribute in future years. And I think they’re in the midst of misjudging that. Admittedly, there’s a lot of pitchers who collapse after 30. But Lester reminds me of Andy Pettitte more than anyone else I can think of, and Pettitte aged well.

10. playball - Jul 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Teams are calling on Lester and Lackey. That’s today.

This sucks.

Really sucks.

After tonight’s game, maybe they’ll change their thinking.

11. jfk69 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

A rental of a number one starter, providing you get in the playoffs makes perfect sense.
    In a 5 or 7 game series teamed with your number one can produce an instant championship.

12. slaugin - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM

They are treating this team like they are the Rays. They got lucky last year and everything worked out, now they think they reinvented the wheel. If they don’t pay A guy that has proven he can succeed in this market time and time again than I don’t have faith that they will ever take another risk and we will still be paying the highest ticket prices in the league

• shutton83 - Jul 29, 2014 at 3:47 AM

The Lester contract talks were mucked up and that’s the reason why Lester is being shopped, the best case scenario for the Sox at this point would be to rent out Lester at the deadline and pursue him in the offseason. As for the ticket prices you have to take into account that Fenway has one of the lowest seating capacities in all of baseball, if we max out (including standing room) we net about 38k fans, where at Yankee stadium where capacity is I believe 55k the max crowd at fenway would only account for 69% of Yankee stadium.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS