Arolids Chapman broke 104 m.p.h. on his fastball last night

Jul 29, 2014, 9:16 AM EST

Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 8.12.12 AM

Aroldis Chapman holds the record for the fastest recorded pitch in baseball history, having hit 105.1 in September 2010. He didn’t dial it up quite that hot last night against the Diamondbacks, but he was pretty darn impressive all the same.

Pitching on a couple days rest, Chapman came into a 1-1 game in the bottom of the ninth. He threw 20 pitches overall. Fifteen of them were fastballs. According to Brooks Baseball, his fastballs averaged 102.8. None were under 101.Thirteen of those were strikes. His fastest pitch: 104.6 miles per hour to Paul Goldschmidt. Goldschmidt somehow managed to foul it off, but he ended up striking out anyway. As did the other two batters Chapman faced. Watch his gas here.

Just as impressive, I figure, is that his slider and changeup were both in the low 90s. Who the heck throws a 92 m.p.h. changeup?

After the game Chapman was asked about it. He simply said “It was nothing special, I was just pitching.” Indeed you were, dude.

1. stoutfiles - Jul 29, 2014 at 9:23 AM

And yet the Reds keep losing. When you look at how weak this offense is and how thin their minor league system is, the Reds need to start selling and rebuild for future years. For starters, I’d trade Cueto while he’s still got 1.5 affordable years on his contract and try to get a package similar to what the Cubs got from the A’s.

• jm91rs - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I agree that their minor leagues are laughably thin with position players, they seem to be decent with pitchers though. I’d trade Latos and not Cueto. I think Latos has more upside and will therefore be more expensive, but will probably bring the most back in return. If Jeff Smardzija can bring 2 top 10 prospects to the cubs, Latos can do the same or better. They likely have to sign 2 of the 3 pitchers due to be free agents after 2015, and Leake and Cueto should be cheaper than Latos due to age. If they can’t afford either Latos of Cueto (I struggle to see how they could afford to pay them more than Bailey, and they’re worth a lot more than him), trade them both and stack your system with minor league phenoms. I would think Iglesias can be a back of the rotation starter next year so he’ll fill one of the slots.
      I’d also shut down Votto for the year. He needs to heal fully so there are no more excuses. The problem with having such a massive contract player is that you are always going to be in win now mode, which makes letting pitchers like Cueto or Latos go before their contracts are up very tough to swallow.

• windycity0301 - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Just a note… The A’s got both Samardzija and Jason Hammel in the trade. Hammel at the time was 8-5 with a 2.98 ERA. Regardless, how Hammel is pitching now, at the time, it was two (at the time) successful MLB pitchers for 2 solid prospects. And they get an additional month of service plus this year. I wouldn’t expect the same return for just Latos. Now both Cueto and Latos?? Very different story.

• tved12 - Jul 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Can I ask, why do you think the Reds would get more for Latos that the Cubs got for Smardzija?

IMO, Smardzija is the better pitcher. I’m genuinely curious what you think, not flaming.

2. Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Jul 29, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I’d consider this guy a “bakemono” too. HOLY****.

3. proudlycanadian - Jul 29, 2014 at 9:35 AM

I understand that he has broken the speed limit before.

4. scotttheskeptic - Jul 29, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Some computations:

104mph=1.98*10^9 feet/second

60 feet, 6 inches (60.5 feet) is eclipsed in 3.1*10^-8 seconds.

• gbreadman - Jul 29, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Check your math, dude. 104 mph = about 152.5 fps

His pitches get to home plate in about 0.397 sec. If the ball got to home plate in 0.000000031 seconds, no one would be able to see it, let alone hit or catch it.

• philliesblow - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:26 AM

If he did throw it so fast that no one could see it, at least it would give Angel Hernandez an excuse for some of his calls.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 29, 2014 at 12:27 PM

mea culpa! mea culpa! mea culpa!
        No excuses. Ridiculous error on my part.

• zukith - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Um, not quite.

104 mph = 152.5 ft/sec

The speed of light is about 9.8*10^8 ft/sec. I didn’t watch the game, but I doubt he eclipsed that.

5. ejheim62 - Jul 29, 2014 at 9:39 AM

I remember watching Nolan Ryan strike out 16 Giants in a game back in 1987 when he was still with Houston. He punched out Will Clark on a 92 mile an hour curveball. I thought that was pretty impressive. I didn’t even know Ryan THREW curveballs!

6. hk62 - Jul 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM

JR Richard used to throw his slider at 94 – 96; completely unhittable pitch. He didn’t crack 100 mph very often with the heater, but probably threw the hardest slider ever in MLB. 92 MPH change-up, that’s just WOW!

• jsala02 - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I saw an old interview with Joe Morgan and he said JR was the most intimidating pitcher he ever faces

7. zayd321 - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Baseball is for losers.

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:25 AM

IKR!! Yakyu are for the cool guys and baseball are f-, wait.

NVM, just noticed a troll.

• tved12 - Jul 29, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Then what is a person who posts on baseball forums who doesn’t even like the sport?

8. Marty McKee - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and somehow make the Reds put this guy into the starting rotation. He’d have at least one Cy Young Award by now, and the Reds would have at least one NL pennant. Those who say Chapman is a one-pitch pitcher should really see his slider. Wow.

• jm91rs - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Not sure what kind of results they would have had, but there’s no doubt he’d be far more useful as a starter.

• ramrene - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Seriously?

You think Chapman is better than Kershaw?

Chappy is a one trick pony. If he started he wouldn’t have the stamina to be throwing 104 mph for 6 or 7 innings, he’d have to learn how to pace himself and that would make him a different pitcher than he is now.

• jm91rs - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Chapman might not be better than Kershaw, but since no one is, that’s not a great standard. Chapman threw 63 innings last year and anyone that thinks he’s more valuable throwing 63 innings than starting and working his way up to 150+ is fooling themselves. To make it easier to understand, the Reds have played around 10 post season games (I should look this up) in Chapman’s career. I’m sure he’s pitched less than 5 innings. A guy with the nastiest fastball in the game, and a pretty crazy under-used slider and changeup has pitched in 5 innings of the most important part of the season. Closers are overrated and unfortunately it’ll be someone other than the Reds that stretches him out and sees what he can do for 6 or 7 innings every 5th day. Yes his velocity will dip when he starts, but he’ll still be throwing easy 97mph gas and there’s nothing wrong with that.

• Marty McKee - Jul 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Actually, I never wrote nor did I imply that Chapman was better than Kershaw, but it’s hardly absurd to think that he may be. Even if he isn’t, it isn’t exactly evidence that Chapman wouldn’t be an outstanding starter. Obviously, he wouldn’t be throwing 104 for 7 innings, and since he was a starter every day of his baseball life until joining the Reds, I think he knows a thing or two about pacing himself.

9. hushbrother - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I’m always amazed that these relievers can achieve such velocity without pitching from a wind-up.

10. dohpey28 - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:45 AM

You do realize that all these mlb park guns are rigged right? He might be the only legitimate guy to throw 100 in baseball, but 104? I don’t think so. Just like when I see all these guys throw 98 its obvious they aren’t throwing any higher then 94-95. It’s good for the scoreboard flash though.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 29, 2014 at 12:26 PM

This is not from the TV gun or the park gun that displays on the scoreboard. It’s from MLB’s Pitch/FX system, which is standardized across the league.

• tved12 - Jul 29, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Do you really think people are reporting on what the ball park said? Last I checked, there isn’t just one radar gun in the entire park.

11. zdravit - Jul 29, 2014 at 2:36 PM

A one pitch pitcher who throws way too hard. Enjoy his short career while it lasts.

• ejheim62 - Jul 29, 2014 at 3:07 PM

they said that about Nolan Ryan for years, too. He seemed to do all right…until his arm fell off at age 46

12. johnnysoda - Jul 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I think it’s more notable that he pitched in the bottom of the ninth inning in a home game.

• tmc602014 - Jul 29, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Good catch, Johnny! Thumbs up for being a sharp observer…

13. bbk1000 - Jul 29, 2014 at 3:29 PM

If Duffy Dyer was scouting this guy his report would probably include “weak arm, will need to fool major league hitters to produce outs, an average middle reliever at best”….

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5838)