Jul 29, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Two days ago Felix Doubront talked at length about how he wants to be back in Boston’s rotation following a demotion to the bullpen and, if the Red Sox aren’t willing to use him as a starter again, he wants to be traded.
Then last night Doubront was called upon to relieve Clay Buchholz in the sixth inning and proceeded to retire just two of the 10 batters he faced while allowing six runs to turn the game against the Blue Jays into a laugher.
Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com described Doubront as looking “disinterested, as though he had nothing invested in the appearance,” but manager John Farrell disagreed with that assessment:
It was an ugly night from the mound. I don’t think that he’s disinterested. He’s capable of more. We’ve seen that. Three of the last four outings out of the bullpen have been very good; tonight, that was obviously not the case. On a night when you’re hopeful of stretching him out a little bit, get multiple innings, that wasn’t the case.
Doubront declined to make any comments or answer any questions following the ugly appearance, which may have been his final one in a Red Sox uniform.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)