Jul 29, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Two days ago Felix Doubront talked at length about how he wants to be back in Boston’s rotation following a demotion to the bullpen and, if the Red Sox aren’t willing to use him as a starter again, he wants to be traded.
Then last night Doubront was called upon to relieve Clay Buchholz in the sixth inning and proceeded to retire just two of the 10 batters he faced while allowing six runs to turn the game against the Blue Jays into a laugher.
Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com described Doubront as looking “disinterested, as though he had nothing invested in the appearance,” but manager John Farrell disagreed with that assessment:
It was an ugly night from the mound. I don’t think that he’s disinterested. He’s capable of more. We’ve seen that. Three of the last four outings out of the bullpen have been very good; tonight, that was obviously not the case. On a night when you’re hopeful of stretching him out a little bit, get multiple innings, that wasn’t the case.
Doubront declined to make any comments or answer any questions following the ugly appearance, which may have been his final one in a Red Sox uniform.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 12
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 57
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)