Jul 29, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Two days ago Felix Doubront talked at length about how he wants to be back in Boston’s rotation following a demotion to the bullpen and, if the Red Sox aren’t willing to use him as a starter again, he wants to be traded.
Then last night Doubront was called upon to relieve Clay Buchholz in the sixth inning and proceeded to retire just two of the 10 batters he faced while allowing six runs to turn the game against the Blue Jays into a laugher.
Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com described Doubront as looking “disinterested, as though he had nothing invested in the appearance,” but manager John Farrell disagreed with that assessment:
It was an ugly night from the mound. I don’t think that he’s disinterested. He’s capable of more. We’ve seen that. Three of the last four outings out of the bullpen have been very good; tonight, that was obviously not the case. On a night when you’re hopeful of stretching him out a little bit, get multiple innings, that wasn’t the case.
Doubront declined to make any comments or answer any questions following the ugly appearance, which may have been his final one in a Red Sox uniform.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 0
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 178
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 138
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (184)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (138)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)