Jul 29, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
On the disabled list with a strained lat muscle, Pirates right-hander Gerrit Cole tossed five shutout innings Monday in a minor-league rehab start at Triple-A.
He allowed five hits, striking out seven and walking three while throwing 81 pitches. That suggests he might be ready to come off the DL and rejoin the rotation, except the Pirates have indicated they’ll be patient with his timetable.
Tom Singer of MLB.com reports that making one more rehab start and then coming off the shelf on August 8 remains the most likely scenario unless last night’s outing changes the Pirates’ plans.
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 0
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 36
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76