Jul 29, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Yahoo Sports’ Jeff Passan wrote Tuesday afternoon that “sentiment among competing executives is unanimous” that the Red Sox will trade left-hander Jon Lester before Thursday’s July 31 deadline.
And this news will only add to that thought.
Tim Britton of the Providence Journal reports that Lester has been scratched from his scheduled start Wednesday night against the Blue Jays, with right-hander Brandon Workman getting the call from Triple-A Pawtucket to take his rotation spot.
The Pirates, Dodgers, Brewers, Blue Jays, Cardinals, and Orioles are all thought to have interest in acquiring Lester, who can become a free agent after this season. He boasts a 2.52 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, and 149/32 K/BB ratio through 143 innings in 2014.
Been told that Lester has NOT yet been traded. This feels proactive to avoid an injury/bizarre situation if he did start #Redsox
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) July 30, 2014
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)