Jul 29, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Yahoo Sports’ Jeff Passan wrote Tuesday afternoon that “sentiment among competing executives is unanimous” that the Red Sox will trade left-hander Jon Lester before Thursday’s July 31 deadline.
And this news will only add to that thought.
Tim Britton of the Providence Journal reports that Lester has been scratched from his scheduled start Wednesday night against the Blue Jays, with right-hander Brandon Workman getting the call from Triple-A Pawtucket to take his rotation spot.
The Pirates, Dodgers, Brewers, Blue Jays, Cardinals, and Orioles are all thought to have interest in acquiring Lester, who can become a free agent after this season. He boasts a 2.52 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, and 149/32 K/BB ratio through 143 innings in 2014.
Been told that Lester has NOT yet been traded. This feels proactive to avoid an injury/bizarre situation if he did start #Redsox
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) July 30, 2014
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (141)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)