Jul 29, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Yahoo Sports’ Jeff Passan wrote Tuesday afternoon that “sentiment among competing executives is unanimous” that the Red Sox will trade left-hander Jon Lester before Thursday’s July 31 deadline.
And this news will only add to that thought.
Tim Britton of the Providence Journal reports that Lester has been scratched from his scheduled start Wednesday night against the Blue Jays, with right-hander Brandon Workman getting the call from Triple-A Pawtucket to take his rotation spot.
The Pirates, Dodgers, Brewers, Blue Jays, Cardinals, and Orioles are all thought to have interest in acquiring Lester, who can become a free agent after this season. He boasts a 2.52 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, and 149/32 K/BB ratio through 143 innings in 2014.
Been told that Lester has NOT yet been traded. This feels proactive to avoid an injury/bizarre situation if he did start #Redsox
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) July 30, 2014
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)