Jul 29, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
Brandon Morrow was one of the league’s best starters in 2012, but he’s been an injured mess since then, including a current disabled list stint for a torn tendon in his right index finger. And now whenever he does come back to the Blue Jays, it’ll probably be as a reliever.
Morrow actually began his MLB career as a reliever for the Mariners and even got a brief crack at the closing gig, but he’s been exclusively a starter since a trade to the Blue Jays in 2010.
Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com describes Morrow’s current rehab status as “like starting spring training all over again” and he’s yet to be cleared for more than bullpen sessions, so by bringing him back as a reliever the Blue Jays would lessen the time needed to build up arm strength and perhaps keep him healthier with a limited workload.
Toss in Morrow’s mid-90s fastball and career-long control problems and transitioning to the bullpen could make a lot of sense, but at this point it’s tough to predict what type of pitcher he’ll return as since he hasn’t been healthy and effective in so long.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)