Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested

Jul 29, 2014, 9:34 PM EST

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com has the story …

Rays GM Andrew Friedman is going to make the most interesting call of the next two days: Whether or not to trade David Price.

Colleagues suggest Friedman has the guts to deal Price when the team has rallied from nowhere to the cusp of the AL pennant race. A few even suggest that he may prefer to pull the trigger.

“We are talking and willing,” a Rays-connected source told Heyman for his column. “[We’ll] see if any teams have the desire.”

USA Today’s Bob Nightengale wrote Tuesday that the Cardinals could present a package of outfielder Oscar Taveras, starting pitcher Shelby Miller, and their competitive-balance pick (right after the first round) in the 2015 MLB Amateur Draft. And Heyman heard from rival executives that the offer has “some merit.”

The Dodgers are also thought to be heavily-interested in Price and have the prospects to pull off a deal.

Price, who is under contractual control through 2015, boasts a 3.08 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, and 183/21 K/BB ratio through 163 2/3 innings this season. The 28-year-old is scheduled to start for Tampa Bay on Wednesday.

1. stupidusername - Jul 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM

The Cardinals had originally offered that package to Amaro and the Phillies for Cole Hamels but Amaro insisted Matt Adams and the Gateway Arch be included.

• missthemexpos - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:32 PM

The deal with the Phillies fell apart because the Gateway Arch has a no-movement clause.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:29 PM

The Gateway Arch is Ryan Howard?

2. dolphinsfan95 - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I just don’t see this Price trade happening midseason.

• bigharold - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM

The Rays are too close to the WC to let Price go now. Off season, sure but if they trade Price now that pits a great big monkey wrench in their post season hopes which are clearly alive and well.

But, if they are going to trade him, I would consider it a personal favor of they do it before the play the Yankees again.

• dolphinsfan95 - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Exactly what I was thinking Harold. I’ve heard many times on the local Rays broadcasts that if they traded him now, the players would see it as management throwing in the towel on them, that they can’t make the postseason. And the players would then do the same. As a Rays fan, I’ve seen them do some crazy things before, so counting them out now would be a big mistake. Therefore, they have to keep Price.

• bigharold - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Exactly. How does Maddon convince the rest of the team that trading Price isn’t tantamount to waving the white flag?

• dolphinsfan95 - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Maddon can do a lot of things, but I don’t think he could to that.

• gargamelsmentor - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Dolphinsfan….sounds like you just wrote the screenplay to Major League 4.

• dolphinsfan95 - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Haha, you got it.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I’ll pay that price for Price for sure IF an extension can be knocked out. Miller’s still shaky, Taveras may need a change of scenery, or may just be a phenom. Even without that, I’d definitely consider that.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Well, Matheny is hoping still for somebody to expand his rotation. That said, one person not mentioned in the article is Lackey. If Boston still wants to move him, because of his 2015 contract, I’d definitely kick the tires. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/matheny-says-saturday-started-could-come-via-trade/article_155fb54b-6553-5c05-9cb7-31b0baeab208.html

3. gibbyfan - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I hope the Cards don’t pull the trigger on that one.they will lose two young potential stars and take on a huge contract for a pitcher who probably won’t be worth the tons of money that he will demand…stick with the young guys in your sysem MO

4. khmerson562 - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:16 PM

The dodgers has 3 very good prospects. Trade 1 to the rays for price, 1 to the Red Sox for Lester and the third to phillies for hamel.

• jvandever007 - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:21 PM

You are kidding yourself if you think that hammels and price will only cost one prospect

• paperlions - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Well, 2 months of Lester is only worth one such prospect, at the most.

With Hamels owed > $100m, a prospect and taking on that contract is a very fair deal.

Price would cost more.

• bigharold - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:26 PM

“.. 1 to the rays for price, 1 to the Red Sox for Lester and the third ..”

Not too greedy…

• twinfan24 - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:01 PM

He sounds like every Yankee fan from a few years back when they were the buyers every year, and just assumed teams should give up their stars for other teams junk.

• bigharold - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:11 PM

“He sounds like every Yankee fan ..”

No. He sounds like every fan letting their wish list out for all to see. It’s not that anyone of those deals aren’t reasonable or possible but all three would be a like winning the baseball equivalent Triple Crown.

5. undeadjesus - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Seems like a good deal if I’m the Rays. Lots of potential in Tavares and Miller could be a member of the rotation for years. The draft pick is just gravy.

• paperlions - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Of course it is a good deal for the Rays…but all that was said was that a writer for the USA today said the Cardinals could offer that, which is true as those are all assets in their possession), and that a non-Cardinal executive said the deal “had merit”, which means that in his opinion that offer is in the ballpark. No where in there does it say that the Rays have asked for such a package or would accept such a package or that the Cardinals have offered or would be willing to give such a package.

• spudchukar - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM

PL, if the Cards can get Price for Taveras, Miller, and the comp #1 they should jump on it. Taveras just doesn’t impress. I think he will hit, maybe even .300 some day, but he isn’t fast, isn’t a particularly good outfielder, doesn’t impress me with his smarts and doesn’t hit a lot of homers. In a year or so, Ramsey will be ready, and he has more pop, a great OBP, and can play center if needed. With Piscotty and Grichuk, and maybe even Pham, I think Taveras is expendable.
        Miller is an okay #4 guy, but also doesn’t impress me as being capable of advancing the learning curve, a kind way of saying he isn’t particularly bright. If Martinez is demanded I say no way, but if it only takes Taveras, Miller, and the gift #1, I say do it.

• paperlions - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Hey Spud! How’s it going?

I think Miller is mostly mechanical issues…but I think those are related to his problems you mention…he just seems mentally lazy (or stupid). His failure to develop secondary stuff and the complete disintegration of his mechanics are worrying. I’ve never seen Yadi get so frustrated with a guy so often.

Oscar is still young, he’s about 3 years younger than Ramsey or Piscotty. He may never develop….you never know….I like both Ramsey and Piscotty as players….there isn’t room for everyone. As long as Oscar doesn’t go on to be a perennial AS, I’m fine with him leaving…..he’s fun to root for….but as they say “prospects will break your heart”.

• raysfan1 - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Ever since these rumors started, I’ve said there is a problem with the proposals that include Tavares…namely that the Rays have plenty of good young outfielders. They aren’t trading away their ace for a package with an outfield prospect as the key piece unless there is a third team or quick flip lined up, and there is no rumor of that.

BTW, Price is starting tomorrow and I strongly doubt he’s going anywhere until the off season.

• paperlions - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:03 AM

I agree. I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

Can you imagine the morale on that team if they traded Price after the fantastic run they have been on the last 2 months?

Potentially devastating to a team that could even take the weak AL East if given a chance.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:06 AM

I’d say less than 30 percent odds, at least, that he moves.

• raysfan1 - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Rays win tomorrow with Price on the mound and they’re at .500. They were once 17 games under, just an incredible turnaround.

Yes, trading Price for anything other than a fool’s deal would be a slap in the face to the team. It could even have effects beyond this season.

6. khmerson562 - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM

No I’m not I’m serious.

• bigharold - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Then you’re not serious or even greedy, .. you’re delusional.

7. khmerson562 - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:27 PM

If that happen kershaw, greinke Lester’s price hamel and ryu . Not bad

• twinfan24 - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:02 PM

You don’t understand the reply button, do you?

• renaado - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Ryu!? If I were you… I’d rather not start a riot.

8. paperlions - Jul 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Adding Price would be awesome. Losing Oscar and Miller and the pick would hurt, potentially a lot for a long time. But you don’t get Price for 2 post-seasons without it hurting.

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Awesome for sure.

Losing Taveras would bug me, but I’d get over it.

I’ve become numb to Miller’s presence or potential absence.

So ya, I’d be down.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:27 PM

What Falcon said. Except…I am thinking it will take me a little while to get over losing Oscar. If Martinez is in the mix…I nix this trade. But yeah…Shelby Miller is wearing on me.

9. SocraticGadfly - Jul 29, 2014 at 11:36 PM

I figure the Cards have four options, depending on other teams’ prices:
    1. Price; 2. Lackey; 3. Colon (yes); 4. Others not named Hamels (Dallas Kuchel or others getting bits of talk). Per above, I’d likely pull the trigger on Price at that price. 2. If Boston doesn’t ask too much, Lackey could be great on the contract control; 3. Colon’s steady, laugh as we will at his age and fitness, and he’s not that expensive. 4. … Depends on the asking.

10. wilmyers09 - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:00 AM

khmerson562 1 prospect for price and one for lester what u smoking unless prospect is next mike trout that isnt going to get a deal done lol

11. unlost1 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I don’t think Cards fans realize it doesn’t make any difference because they can’t hit.

• beepbeepbeeplgb - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM

yep, we have no i idea that our team can’t hit.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Yeah…totally lost on Cardinals fans. Best hitting team in the league. Just look at the numbers!

12. mrdry14 - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Taveras has looked overmatched at the major league level and Miller has never lived up to his hype. It’s a very weak package. I’m not buying the ‘unnamed source’ saying that the pachage has merit.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2821)
  2. W. Myers (2573)
  3. D. Ross (2264)
  4. C. McGehee (2181)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2007)
  1. J. Shields (1925)