Jul 29, 2014, 9:34 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com has the story …
Rays GM Andrew Friedman is going to make the most interesting call of the next two days: Whether or not to trade David Price.
Colleagues suggest Friedman has the guts to deal Price when the team has rallied from nowhere to the cusp of the AL pennant race. A few even suggest that he may prefer to pull the trigger.
“We are talking and willing,” a Rays-connected source told Heyman for his column. “[We'll] see if any teams have the desire.”
USA Today’s Bob Nightengale wrote Tuesday that the Cardinals could present a package of outfielder Oscar Taveras, starting pitcher Shelby Miller, and their competitive-balance pick (right after the first round) in the 2015 MLB Amateur Draft. And Heyman heard from rival executives that the offer has “some merit.”
The Dodgers are also thought to be heavily-interested in Price and have the prospects to pull off a deal.
Price, who is under contractual control through 2015, boasts a 3.08 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, and 183/21 K/BB ratio through 163 2/3 innings this season. The 28-year-old is scheduled to start for Tampa Bay on Wednesday.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)