Astros “looking to move” slugger Chris Carter

Jul 30, 2014, 6:13 PM EST

chris carter getty Getty Images

The 44-64 Astros could jump into this seller-friendly market before Thursday’s 4 p.m. ET trade deadline.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Houston is “looking to move” first baseman and designated hitter Chris Carter, who owns a weak .212 batting average and .291 on-base percentage in 350 plate appearances this year but has slugged 50 homers since the beginning of the 2013 season.

Carter is arbitration-eligible for the first time in 2015 and is under contractual control through 2018, so the ‘Stros will probably want something substantial in return for the 27-year-old.

But with very few difference-making bats on the block, they might just find a willing trade partner.

Sherman also says starting pitchers Jarred Cosart, Dallas Keuchel, and Collin McHugh are available.

1. drewsylvania - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Only worth a C prospect.

2. drewsylvania - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Hmmm, I guess the Stros don’t think Keuchel or McHugh will replicate their success, either.

3. papacrick - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I’m surprised they’d move Keuchel. He looks like a serious building block for the future but then again it’s the Astros and they sure know how to fail so I shouldn’t be surprised

4. Hard On For Harden - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I can understand selling high on Keuchel and McHugh since they’ve exceeded all expectations and Carter due to his suckiness. But Cosart? Drawing a blank on that one, he hadn’t done anything to justify a big return as of now and should project as a solid #2 for many years. Plus he’s a Houston guy.

5. tigers182 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:39 PM

A DH that hits .212? Sign me up!

• jlovenotjlo - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Dunn’s contract with the White Sox runs out after this season, I couldn’t think of a better replacement to keep the tradition going.

6. edelmanfanclub - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:01 PM

A DH/1B/LF that hits lefties in a platoon. He’d be more valuable if his OBP was north of .330, but at .291 worth PTBNL and the guy that throws 99 mph in AA but with a 6.50 ERA

7. fansrus - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Even up: I’ll give ‘em Dave Kingman, or Carlos Pena, or Rob Deer.

• rohlo - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:32 AM

already had carlos pena!! they will want prospects!

8. bryancl - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Seems like what the Reds like. .212 BA is in line with their team motto I think

9. xjokerz - Jul 31, 2014 at 6:09 AM

A sub .300 Obp dh ? No thanks

10. ejheim62 - Jul 31, 2014 at 7:50 AM

they want something substantial for a guy who’s hitting .212 with a .291 OBP? Well heck, I want a million dollars, but that doesn’t mean i’m going to get it, either.

Then again, teams do some really weird stuff at the trade deadline. I remember the Pirates picking up Morris at the trade deadline a few years back. Even the manager was like “huh?”. Considering how bad the team was back then, they should have traded for Morris Day. At least they’d have been more entertaining.

11. nyestrovic - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:16 PM

: / Carter is still young enough to improve his hitting and OBP. Send him to Oakland, they’ll get him squared away. But really, I don’t get it. They are like the Rockets except worse…it’s a constant and yearly fire sale with this team…wtf? In 5 years we might say, “wow, brilliant, they flipped so and so for so and so? Awesome!” But let’s be real here, it isn’t often that you pick up a Bagwell for an aging relief (Anderson I think his name was.) pitcher. And yes, for those that would take me literally, I know we’re not trading an aging relief pitcher.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4094)