Jul 30, 2014, 7:37 PM EST
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com has the scoop …
The Blue Jays are one of a few teams that has emerged as a possibility for available Indians infielder Asdrubal Cabrera.
Cabrera has been the Indians’ shortstop but he’d play second for the Jays.
FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi reported earlier this month that the Giants are also targeting Cabrera, who is scheduled to become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series. San Francisco already has a very good defensive shortstop in 27-year-old Brandon Crawford, so Cabrera would presumably be asked to play second base out there as well.
Cabrera hasn’t made an appearance at the keystone since 2009 — when he started 28 games at second base for Cleveland — but his range at shortstop has been questionable over the years so it might actually be a good move. Cabrera, 28, is batting .249/.308/.390 with nine homers and 40 RBI in 96 games this season.
Jays second basemen have hit .264/.315/.374 this year. Giants second baseman are at .176/.257/.276.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)