Jul 30, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com has the scoop …
The Blue Jays are one of a few teams that has emerged as a possibility for available Indians infielder Asdrubal Cabrera.
Cabrera has been the Indians’ shortstop but he’d play second for the Jays.
FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi reported earlier this month that the Giants are also targeting Cabrera, who is scheduled to become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series. San Francisco already has a very good defensive shortstop in 27-year-old Brandon Crawford, so Cabrera would presumably be asked to play second base out there as well.
Cabrera hasn’t made an appearance at the keystone since 2009 — when he started 28 games at second base for Cleveland — but his range at shortstop has been questionable over the years so it might actually be a good move. Cabrera, 28, is batting .249/.308/.390 with nine homers and 40 RBI in 96 games this season.
Jays second basemen have hit .264/.315/.374 this year. Giants second baseman are at .176/.257/.276.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 133
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 132
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (133)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (132)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)