Jul 30, 2014, 7:37 PM EST
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com has the scoop …
The Blue Jays are one of a few teams that has emerged as a possibility for available Indians infielder Asdrubal Cabrera.
Cabrera has been the Indians’ shortstop but he’d play second for the Jays.
FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi reported earlier this month that the Giants are also targeting Cabrera, who is scheduled to become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series. San Francisco already has a very good defensive shortstop in 27-year-old Brandon Crawford, so Cabrera would presumably be asked to play second base out there as well.
Cabrera hasn’t made an appearance at the keystone since 2009 — when he started 28 games at second base for Cleveland — but his range at shortstop has been questionable over the years so it might actually be a good move. Cabrera, 28, is batting .249/.308/.390 with nine homers and 40 RBI in 96 games this season.
Jays second basemen have hit .264/.315/.374 this year. Giants second baseman are at .176/.257/.276.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)