Jul 30, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Cleveland turned down Justin Masterson‘s attempted contract extension offer back in spring training–balking at what seemed to be reasonable terms at the time–and now the Indians are trading the impending free agent to the Cardinals, according to Peter Gammons of MLB.com.
Masterson has been a mess this season while trying to pitch through knee problems, posting a 5.51 ERA in 19 starts while walking 5.1 batters per nine innings. However, last season he threw 193 innings with a 3.45 ERA and 195 strikeouts, and from 2011-2013 he had a combined 3.86 ERA in 615 innings.
Masterson is currently on the disabled list, but he’s eligible to return Friday and if healthy is a solid mid-rotation starter with some upside beyond that. And given his struggles this season along with his being able to hit the open market as a free agent in two months the price was certainly right for the Cardinals. According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post they’re giving up 24-year-old outfielder James Ramsey, a 2012 first-round draft pick playing well while repeating Double-A.
Ramsey is a solid prospect, but he lacks upside and isn’t close to cracking any top-100 lists. Ultimately the Cardinals decided they’d rather take their chances on Masterson than overpay for a fellow two-month rental like Jon Lester or really break the bank for David Price.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)