Jul 30, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Cleveland turned down Justin Masterson‘s attempted contract extension offer back in spring training–balking at what seemed to be reasonable terms at the time–and now the Indians are trading the impending free agent to the Cardinals, according to Peter Gammons of MLB.com.
Masterson has been a mess this season while trying to pitch through knee problems, posting a 5.51 ERA in 19 starts while walking 5.1 batters per nine innings. However, last season he threw 193 innings with a 3.45 ERA and 195 strikeouts, and from 2011-2013 he had a combined 3.86 ERA in 615 innings.
Masterson is currently on the disabled list, but he’s eligible to return Friday and if healthy is a solid mid-rotation starter with some upside beyond that. And given his struggles this season along with his being able to hit the open market as a free agent in two months the price was certainly right for the Cardinals. According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post they’re giving up 24-year-old outfielder James Ramsey, a 2012 first-round draft pick playing well while repeating Double-A.
Ramsey is a solid prospect, but he lacks upside and isn’t close to cracking any top-100 lists. Ultimately the Cardinals decided they’d rather take their chances on Masterson than overpay for a fellow two-month rental like Jon Lester or really break the bank for David Price.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 16
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 19
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)