Jul 30, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Cleveland turned down Justin Masterson‘s attempted contract extension offer back in spring training–balking at what seemed to be reasonable terms at the time–and now the Indians are trading the impending free agent to the Cardinals, according to Peter Gammons of MLB.com.
Masterson has been a mess this season while trying to pitch through knee problems, posting a 5.51 ERA in 19 starts while walking 5.1 batters per nine innings. However, last season he threw 193 innings with a 3.45 ERA and 195 strikeouts, and from 2011-2013 he had a combined 3.86 ERA in 615 innings.
Masterson is currently on the disabled list, but he’s eligible to return Friday and if healthy is a solid mid-rotation starter with some upside beyond that. And given his struggles this season along with his being able to hit the open market as a free agent in two months the price was certainly right for the Cardinals. According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post they’re giving up 24-year-old outfielder James Ramsey, a 2012 first-round draft pick playing well while repeating Double-A.
Ramsey is a solid prospect, but he lacks upside and isn’t close to cracking any top-100 lists. Ultimately the Cardinals decided they’d rather take their chances on Masterson than overpay for a fellow two-month rental like Jon Lester or really break the bank for David Price.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)