Jul 30, 2014, 6:49 PM EDT
Oscar Taveras has been mentioned as a possible centerpiece in trade talks this week for top-tier starting pitchers like David Price and Jon Lester, but if Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak is to be believed that was all speculation from the outside.
This excerpt comes from Bernie Miklasz’s latest column on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website …
Mozeliak told me he was never close to trading Taveras and was amused by the speculation that had him moving Taveras.
The Cardinals got Justin Masterson from the Indians on Wednesday afternoon for Double-A outfielder James Ramsey and might be done dealing with a little under 24 hours to go before Thursday’s deadline.
Taveras has struggled in his first taste of the majors, but the 21-year-old Dominican was a .320/.376/.516 hitter in 436 minor league games and hasn’t exactly been used properly by manager Mike Matheny.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)