Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
It’s funny… just a few days ago I was listening to the radio broadcast of the 1968 World Series, which Bullet Bob appeared in. During one of the games, announcers Jack Buck and Pee Wee Reese are discussing a controversy about Lou Brock “showboating” on the base paths, and Reese mentions how back in the old days when he was playing, a pitcher would’ve “low-bridged” a hitter to tried that stuff, but went on to say how nowadays (i.e., the ’60s) that doesn’t seem to happen so much anymore.
So the guy who probably knew the Dodgers better than any other team and who, at the time he said it, was broadcasting a Cardinals game during Bob Gibson’s signature season, didn’t think that the existence of Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale had put a stop to flash and disrespect and all of that? And that pitchers back in his day wouldn’t stand for this stuff?
I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)