Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EST
It’s funny… just a few days ago I was listening to the radio broadcast of the 1968 World Series, which Bullet Bob appeared in. During one of the games, announcers Jack Buck and Pee Wee Reese are discussing a controversy about Lou Brock “showboating” on the base paths, and Reese mentions how back in the old days when he was playing, a pitcher would’ve “low-bridged” a hitter to tried that stuff, but went on to say how nowadays (i.e., the ’60s) that doesn’t seem to happen so much anymore.
So the guy who probably knew the Dodgers better than any other team and who, at the time he said it, was broadcasting a Cardinals game during Bob Gibson’s signature season, didn’t think that the existence of Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale had put a stop to flash and disrespect and all of that? And that pitchers back in his day wouldn’t stand for this stuff?
I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)