Dylan Bundy is struggling in his comeback from Tommy John surgery

Jul 30, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays v Baltimore Orioles Getty Images

Orioles prospect Dylan Bundy would probably already be in the majors to stay if not for blowing out his elbow last season, but now the former No. 1 pitching prospect in baseball is struggling while rehabbing in the minors.

Bundy walked five batters and managed just one strikeout in 4.1 innings at Single-A yesterday, giving him a 5.73 ERA and 13 walks versus eight strikeouts in five rehab starts for Frederick of the Carolina League.

Back in 2012 he racked up a 119/28 K/BB ratio in 104 innings split between three different levels and even made his MLB debut at age 19, but Bundy missed all of last season and certainly seems like a long shot to make it back to the majors by the end of this year.

1. psuorioles - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM

This is one concerned Orioles fan… I say sell high while he is considered a top prospect and trade for a legit #1. Every team asks for him, so for the right player, I say pull the trigger.

• southpaw2k - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM

With stats like those so far, how can any team think of him as a “top prospect”? His stock hasn’t been any lower.

• boogerhill - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Oh no! Not another Billy Rowell, Matt Blobgood, Brandon Snider, Adam Loewen,etc,etc etc!

• psuorioles - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Every team the O’s get into trade talks with ask for Bundy… so teams still want him.

• jrbdmb - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Fool’s strategy … buy high sell low. How many pitchers come out like gangbusters immediately after TJ? For example, I remember Wainwright pitching like crap his first half season back, and now look at him.

I don’t think you can make any decisions on this kid until this time next year.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM

It takes 6 months of game time to return to form.

• DJ MC - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Instead of thinking, “Everyone wants him, so sell,” why wouldn’t you think, “If all of these teams, looking at the same information I have and likely privy to inside stuff I’m not, still are clambering for him, maybe I shouldn’t be so quick to want him gone?”

2. mmeyer3387 - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:00 PM

You may be right. I had very high hopes for Dylan. Yet, I still have hope for him. That being said, now is the time to decide to either with him or try to get top value for him. This a very difficult decision, because it appears it may be too soon to make the judgement. Additionally, it could turn out to be a worst verson of trading Jake Arrieta. By the way, the Yankees have intrest in Jake.

• sophiethegreatdane - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Stop. Just stop. He’s still rehabbing. This is what TJ surgery looks like. You can’t hit the panic button on this guy so soon. And he was never in the Orioles plans for this year, regardless.

3. largebill - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Isn’t it fairly predictable for a pitcher to struggle with control for a while after returning from TJ surgery? Not sure of the number, but remember seeing something saying in addition to the 12 to 18 months recovery/rehab period a pitcher needed X number of innings needed before being close to back to form. Point was it is really almost a 2 year process to fully return.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:20 PM

About 6 months

• asimonetti88 - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM

From what I’ve heard, loss of velocity is more of a concern than lack of control after TJ. But I’m not a doctor, and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so I could be wrong.

• paperlions - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Velocity usually comes back pretty fast, it is actually the command and control that take a while to return….takes a while for muscle memory to return and mechanics to smooth back out.

4. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Nah it usually takes players a good 6 months after the surgery to return to normal form. Considering he’s still so young and doesn’t have the experience just yet, I’m fine with giving him some time. I have been saying all along not to expect him to make much of or even any impact this season.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:20 PM

I’m going to go ahead and clarify myself here, because my original sentence is definitely wrong. It takes 12 month of rehab to return to the field. An additional 6 months of actual pitching before the pitcher begins to perform at their pre-surgery level. Position players typically don’t show the additional 6 months since they obviously aren’t relying on their arms as heavily, although there is some questions about catchers.

5. Eutaw's Finest - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I keep chalking it up to “Dylan, we want you to go out and just work on location right now. Don’t worry about velocity as much, and leave secondary pitches be for now.” Hopefully it’s just working out one kink at a time. I can’t imagine they just threw him out there post-TJS and said “give it all ya got son!”

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:32 PM

These days, there are a ton of restrictions on a pitcher returning from TJ. I’m guessing he’s not allowed to throw any breaking pitches (Don’t want any extra stress on the tendons), and is basically just working on location and getting back the feel for the ball. Not to mention he’s on strict pitch limits and innings limits. Probably also won’t let him even warm up if it looks overcast outside. People who said he would make a contribution this year were filling fans up with a lot of false hope. This year is a lost year, focusing on getting him ready for next season, and was always going to be that way.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM

So I was (likely) on target there?? Woo hoo! A rare moral victory!

With that said, I’d hold on to him and not bother trading him. Looking at the asking price for an Ace (Cole Hamels, Sale, Lester, Price) and assuming we’d need to give up Bundy, Harvey and a few other highly touted prospects, I’d stick with the current rotation. Not worth giving up on Bundy just yet. Harvey is a few years out, and likely to have much more value this time next year. So is the newest O’s fan favorite: Mikey Yastrzemski. Dude. Can. Rake. As can Christian Walker, who I heard was untouchable at the trade deadline.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I’ve been able to lay eyes on Walker in Bowie earlier in the year. Dude can miss-hit a ball a long way.

6. randomdigits - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Of course his last start before this one he went 6 Inn 0R and surprise, surprise it wasn’t news.

• sophiethegreatdane - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM

But he struggled in a game!!!! The sky must be falling!

Stop it with your fact-ness and truth words.

7. timberwolvesbrisin - Jul 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM

This should warn Twins fans who are buying “hope,” in regards to their farm system. Having the so-called best prospects in baseball isnt a gaurantee of anything.

8. jrbdmb - Jul 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Rumors (which of course change every second) say Bundy and other pieces could go to Boston for Lester. If I’m the Red Sox I’d be good with that.

9. clipper522 - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Miggy and Bundy for Lester – PULL THAT TRIGGER DAN!!!

• DJ MC - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:20 PM