Jul 30, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Dan Uggla‘s stay with the Giants lasted nine days.
MLB.com’s Chris Haft reports that San Francisco has released the veteran second baseman, who went 0-for-11 with a walk and six strikeouts in four games after being called up from Triple-A Fresno on July 25. He also made three errors in the field. Uggla officially signed (a minor league deal) with the Giants on July 21, three days after being released by the Braves.
The Giants are known to be in the market for a second baseman with Marco Scutaro continuing to battle injuries in his age-38 season. They’ve been linked recently — along with the Blue Jays — to Indians infielder Asdrubal Cabrera, who is likely to be moved somewhere before Thursday’s deadline.
UPDATE, 10:24 p.m. ET: Conflicting report from Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle …
Tyler Colvin was optioned to Fresno. I didn’t know he had an option, but I guess he did. #sfgiants have not made an Uggla move,
— Henry Schulman (@hankschulman) July 31, 2014
UPDATE, 10:38 p.m. ET: Schulman now writes that there are “indications” Uggla will be cut loose.
UPDATE, 11:21 p.m. ET: So now Haft is walking back his initial report …
Dan Uggla has NOT been released — I put too much belief in trusted sources — and I very much regret the (three-base) error.
— Chris Haft/SF Giants (@sfgiantsbeat) July 31, 2014
But it’s probably going to happen before the Giants head to New York for a weekend series.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)