Jul 30, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
Dan Uggla‘s stay with the Giants lasted nine days.
MLB.com’s Chris Haft reports that San Francisco has released the veteran second baseman, who went 0-for-11 with a walk and six strikeouts in four games after being called up from Triple-A Fresno on July 25. He also made three errors in the field. Uggla officially signed (a minor league deal) with the Giants on July 21, three days after being released by the Braves.
The Giants are known to be in the market for a second baseman with Marco Scutaro continuing to battle injuries in his age-38 season. They’ve been linked recently — along with the Blue Jays — to Indians infielder Asdrubal Cabrera, who is likely to be moved somewhere before Thursday’s deadline.
UPDATE, 10:24 p.m. ET: Conflicting report from Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle …
Tyler Colvin was optioned to Fresno. I didn’t know he had an option, but I guess he did. #sfgiants have not made an Uggla move,
— Henry Schulman (@hankschulman) July 31, 2014
UPDATE, 10:38 p.m. ET: Schulman now writes that there are “indications” Uggla will be cut loose.
UPDATE, 11:21 p.m. ET: So now Haft is walking back his initial report …
Dan Uggla has NOT been released — I put too much belief in trusted sources — and I very much regret the (three-base) error.
— Chris Haft/SF Giants (@sfgiantsbeat) July 31, 2014
But it’s probably going to happen before the Giants head to New York for a weekend series.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)