Jul 30, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
Dan Uggla‘s stay with the Giants lasted nine days.
MLB.com’s Chris Haft reports that San Francisco has released the veteran second baseman, who went 0-for-11 with a walk and six strikeouts in four games after being called up from Triple-A Fresno on July 25. He also made three errors in the field. Uggla officially signed (a minor league deal) with the Giants on July 21, three days after being released by the Braves.
The Giants are known to be in the market for a second baseman with Marco Scutaro continuing to battle injuries in his age-38 season. They’ve been linked recently — along with the Blue Jays — to Indians infielder Asdrubal Cabrera, who is likely to be moved somewhere before Thursday’s deadline.
UPDATE, 10:24 p.m. ET: Conflicting report from Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle …
Tyler Colvin was optioned to Fresno. I didn’t know he had an option, but I guess he did. #sfgiants have not made an Uggla move,
— Henry Schulman (@hankschulman) July 31, 2014
UPDATE, 10:38 p.m. ET: Schulman now writes that there are “indications” Uggla will be cut loose.
UPDATE, 11:21 p.m. ET: So now Haft is walking back his initial report …
Dan Uggla has NOT been released — I put too much belief in trusted sources — and I very much regret the (three-base) error.
— Chris Haft/SF Giants (@sfgiantsbeat) July 31, 2014
But it’s probably going to happen before the Giants head to New York for a weekend series.
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 1
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 5
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 31
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)