Jul 30, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
Dan Uggla‘s stay with the Giants lasted nine days.
MLB.com’s Chris Haft reports that San Francisco has released the veteran second baseman, who went 0-for-11 with a walk and six strikeouts in four games after being called up from Triple-A Fresno on July 25. He also made three errors in the field. Uggla officially signed (a minor league deal) with the Giants on July 21, three days after being released by the Braves.
The Giants are known to be in the market for a second baseman with Marco Scutaro continuing to battle injuries in his age-38 season. They’ve been linked recently — along with the Blue Jays — to Indians infielder Asdrubal Cabrera, who is likely to be moved somewhere before Thursday’s deadline.
UPDATE, 10:24 p.m. ET: Conflicting report from Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle …
Tyler Colvin was optioned to Fresno. I didn’t know he had an option, but I guess he did. #sfgiants have not made an Uggla move,
— Henry Schulman (@hankschulman) July 31, 2014
UPDATE, 10:38 p.m. ET: Schulman now writes that there are “indications” Uggla will be cut loose.
UPDATE, 11:21 p.m. ET: So now Haft is walking back his initial report …
Dan Uggla has NOT been released — I put too much belief in trusted sources — and I very much regret the (three-base) error.
— Chris Haft/SF Giants (@sfgiantsbeat) July 31, 2014
But it’s probably going to happen before the Giants head to New York for a weekend series.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)