Jul 30, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
Dan Uggla‘s stay with the Giants lasted nine days.
MLB.com’s Chris Haft reports that San Francisco has released the veteran second baseman, who went 0-for-11 with a walk and six strikeouts in four games after being called up from Triple-A Fresno on July 25. He also made three errors in the field. Uggla officially signed (a minor league deal) with the Giants on July 21, three days after being released by the Braves.
The Giants are known to be in the market for a second baseman with Marco Scutaro continuing to battle injuries in his age-38 season. They’ve been linked recently — along with the Blue Jays — to Indians infielder Asdrubal Cabrera, who is likely to be moved somewhere before Thursday’s deadline.
UPDATE, 10:24 p.m. ET: Conflicting report from Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle …
Tyler Colvin was optioned to Fresno. I didn’t know he had an option, but I guess he did. #sfgiants have not made an Uggla move,
— Henry Schulman (@hankschulman) July 31, 2014
UPDATE, 10:38 p.m. ET: Schulman now writes that there are “indications” Uggla will be cut loose.
UPDATE, 11:21 p.m. ET: So now Haft is walking back his initial report …
Dan Uggla has NOT been released — I put too much belief in trusted sources — and I very much regret the (three-base) error.
— Chris Haft/SF Giants (@sfgiantsbeat) July 31, 2014
But it’s probably going to happen before the Giants head to New York for a weekend series.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)