Jul 30, 2014, 8:23 AM EST
The game was ugly, but what Cubs catcher John Baker did was pretty sweet.
Pressed into service in a 16-inning marathon, Baker threw 11 pitches, six for strikes, walked a batter but saw him erased on a double play. The other out was a foul out, showing that the Rockies couldn’t touch his wicked stuff. In the bottom of the sixteenth he drew a walk, took second on a sacrifice, took third on a single and then lumbered home on a Starlin Castro fly to left, scoring the winning run as the throw home skipped to the backstop.
That Baker was pitching was something less than an accident, actually. Cubs manager Rick Renteria actually used pitcher Jake Arrieta as a pinch hitter in the 13th with two men on and one out, rather than use Baker, his lone remaining position player. Renteria was saving Baker, he said, to pitch. That’s the sort of decision that you can almost laugh at after a win. If things had turned out differently, however, you’d have to really scratch your head. Well, I’ll scratch my head anyway. We live in an era of 13-man pitching staffs. You gotta feel like managers can manage their resources better.
But as it was, Baker pitched for the first time since he played in the Cape Cod League. And he became the first Cubs position player to get a win in more than 100 years.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
He’s reportedly uninjured, though details are scarce at the moment.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Barring some trades he’ll fill a middle relief role for the bullpen-rich Royals in 2015.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
“Their interest in the lefty appears as much opportunistic as enthusiastic.”
Nov 28, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
It’s an artificial turf thing.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:15 AM EST
Won’t somebody think of A.J. Hinch’s children?
Nov 27, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
The AL Central seems to be particularly fond of free agent pitcher Justin Masterson.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
The Padres have three worthy catchers and all of them are drawing trade interest.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
Billy Butler, now with the Athletics, thanked Royals fans for an “amazing ride” in Kansas City.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
A couple more options have appeared on the Marlins’ radar for an upgrade at first base.
Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Your one-stop shop for all of the offseason signings.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Martinez was passed over for the manager job in Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:04 PM EST
Here’s the farewell Instagram post from third baseman Pablo Sandoval, who signed a five-year, $98 million free agent contract with the Red Sox earlier this week …
Nov 26, 2014, 8:18 PM EST
Jackson was limited to 11 minor league games in 2014 due to a right wrist injury that ultimately required surgery.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:43 PM EST
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that the Padres have shown interest in trading for Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp …
Nov 26, 2014, 5:10 PM EST
The Dbacks were not in the picture until very recently. But better late than never.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:25 PM EST
Since there’s no such thing as a stupid question …
Nov 26, 2014, 3:58 PM EST
Don’t tell the people who like to hang out in the bleachers. They may not realize it, actually.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
It sorta makes sense I guess, even if it never goes down.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
Rodriguez was projected to make around $2 million via arbitration.
Nov 26, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
An intriguing scrap-heap pickup for the Rays.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)