Jul 30, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Matt Kemp‘s name has been appearing in trade rumors. Not super strong ones, but he’s been talked about as an option for the Mariners and some other teams in need of a bat. Only problem? The bat has not been too fantastic over the past couple of years. At least not as fantastic as it was when he earned the gigantic contract he’s under right now.
GMs are usually smart enough not to put too much stock in small or recent samples when assessing a player, but if any aren’t, the Dodgers had better hope they were watching last night’s game against the Braves. That’s because Kemp went off, going 3 for 4 with two homers and four RBI. The homers weren’t cheapies. The first one barely cleared the wall — bounced on top of it actually — but it was to the opposite field. The second was to dead center.
Of course they also were his first homers in over a month. And his health and defensive prowess — not to mention the money he’s owed — are still kind of a big deal. But will someone bite? Maybe not. But they may at least sniff a little after last night’s performance.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 35
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)