Jul 30, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Matt Kemp‘s name has been appearing in trade rumors. Not super strong ones, but he’s been talked about as an option for the Mariners and some other teams in need of a bat. Only problem? The bat has not been too fantastic over the past couple of years. At least not as fantastic as it was when he earned the gigantic contract he’s under right now.
GMs are usually smart enough not to put too much stock in small or recent samples when assessing a player, but if any aren’t, the Dodgers had better hope they were watching last night’s game against the Braves. That’s because Kemp went off, going 3 for 4 with two homers and four RBI. The homers weren’t cheapies. The first one barely cleared the wall — bounced on top of it actually — but it was to the opposite field. The second was to dead center.
Of course they also were his first homers in over a month. And his health and defensive prowess — not to mention the money he’s owed — are still kind of a big deal. But will someone bite? Maybe not. But they may at least sniff a little after last night’s performance.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)