Jul 30, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Matt Kemp‘s name has been appearing in trade rumors. Not super strong ones, but he’s been talked about as an option for the Mariners and some other teams in need of a bat. Only problem? The bat has not been too fantastic over the past couple of years. At least not as fantastic as it was when he earned the gigantic contract he’s under right now.
GMs are usually smart enough not to put too much stock in small or recent samples when assessing a player, but if any aren’t, the Dodgers had better hope they were watching last night’s game against the Braves. That’s because Kemp went off, going 3 for 4 with two homers and four RBI. The homers weren’t cheapies. The first one barely cleared the wall — bounced on top of it actually — but it was to the opposite field. The second was to dead center.
Of course they also were his first homers in over a month. And his health and defensive prowess — not to mention the money he’s owed — are still kind of a big deal. But will someone bite? Maybe not. But they may at least sniff a little after last night’s performance.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)