Jul 30, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Matt Kemp‘s name has been appearing in trade rumors. Not super strong ones, but he’s been talked about as an option for the Mariners and some other teams in need of a bat. Only problem? The bat has not been too fantastic over the past couple of years. At least not as fantastic as it was when he earned the gigantic contract he’s under right now.
GMs are usually smart enough not to put too much stock in small or recent samples when assessing a player, but if any aren’t, the Dodgers had better hope they were watching last night’s game against the Braves. That’s because Kemp went off, going 3 for 4 with two homers and four RBI. The homers weren’t cheapies. The first one barely cleared the wall — bounced on top of it actually — but it was to the opposite field. The second was to dead center.
Of course they also were his first homers in over a month. And his health and defensive prowess — not to mention the money he’s owed — are still kind of a big deal. But will someone bite? Maybe not. But they may at least sniff a little after last night’s performance.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)