Jul 30, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Earlier this week Pirates manager Clint Hurdle talked about looking into the “mental component” of Pedro Alvarez‘s throwing problems in an effort to get the third baseman back on track defensively. And now Alvarez is out of the lineup for a second straight day despite being healthy.
Josh Harrison is starting at third base and using the All-Star utility man there more often is the most obvious solution if Hurdle and the Pirates decide Alvarez isn’t fixable in the short term.
Not only has Alvarez committed an MLB-high 21 throwing errors among 23 total miscues, he’s hitting just .238 with a pedestrian .733 OPS and hasn’t homered since the All-Star break.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)