There are reports that Jon Lester is going to the Orioles. And reports that that’s utter baloney

Jul 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

I don’t mean to go all quantum physics on you, but for a few minutes there, Jon Lester was simultaneously traded to the Orioles and not traded to the Orioles. It was a total Schroedinger’s Cat situation, really:

And on and on and on.

And the thing is: all of those folks are good reporters who get stuff right most of the time. It’s just that, with the trade deadline, most reporting skills are sort of nullified by the fact that the news in question is a simple nugget of information, not a story subject to the kind of journalistic work these people normally do. Sure, to even get to the point where someone is telling you stuff takes work and trust, but ultimately you hear something or you don’t, it’s true or it’s not. Big trade news can be broke by someone in the loop or someone just in the right place at the right time.

So, we sit back and wait for the actual news. It’ll come eventually. Promise.

1. nvl004 - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I hope they don’t give up too much for a 3 month rental.

• sophiethegreatdane - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I just can’t see the Sox trading Lester to the Orioles to help a team in the division get better. And I can’t see the Orioles being willing to give up any of their young pitching prospects, which is what Boston would want.

I’d be very surprised if the Orioles do anything particularly significant regarding pitching this trade-season. Over the past 50 games, their starters are pitching to a near 3.00 ERA, but several regulars in the lineup are hovering around the Mendoza line, or have clear visibility to it. Odd as it seems, the O’s could actually use more on offense.

• 18thstreet - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM

From the Red Sox’ perspective, this trade would make the Orioles worse. The Red Sox have nothing to lose for this year, so it doesn’t matter if the Orioles or anyone else wins the American League. But, if a trade were made, it would (presumably) hurt the Orioles in the future to have given up one of their better prospects.

That said, the Orioles should do it anyway. Nelson Cruz isn’t going to be there next year. Weiters could be a free agent in two years. This is the window. They should take it. Carpe Pennant.

• sophiethegreatdane - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Perhaps you are correct. What do I know? Dumb fan here. :)

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 30, 2014 at 5:24 PM

To add to what 18th said….I would also think, on some level, the Sox wouldn’t mind helping keep the Yankees from winning the division.

• mmeyer3387 - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I agree that we have heard for a long while that the O’s don’t want to part with young pitchers. However, Lester does bring a lot to the table. He’s durable, left handed, playoff proven, and pitches well in Candem Yards. I would think that if the O’s do trade for Lester, they would have a contract exstenten included. Renting only makes sense if they don’t need to give up too much.

2. southpaw2k - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I’ve read even crazier stuff suggesting the Orioles were calling around for a third team to join in the mega-deal. Boston would get Miguel Gonzalez from the O’s, the O’s get Lester, and the third team gives up prospects to Boston for [??????].

• mmeyer3387 - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Lots of smoke, but no fire, so far. Even if just one of these rumors is true, the other side must agree.

3. dakotablake - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Please, not another word about Jon lester until he’s traded. Isn’t there a ball players house for sale you can post?

4. proudlycanadian - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Baloney is so yesterday. The newest in food is SPAM. I kid you not.

• nbjays - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Cur would argue that it is seal blubber… and poutine.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Today, my morning newspaper had a story about gourmet spam.

5. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM

They can have Ryan Flaherty

• sophiethegreatdane - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:48 PM

He’s the only guy I know who can hit into a double play with no one on base. It’s the new baseball inefficiency.

6. rhannah78 - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Can’t imagine the Sox trading Lester to a division rival when there are plenty of other suitors for him.

• pdowdy83 - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:23 PM

On the flip side of that I can’t see the Orioles giving the Red Sox a huge package for Lester, the rental, since the players going to Boston will actually play in the division in the future and Lester is a free agent.

• sophiethegreatdane - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Heh-heh, heh-heh, you said huge package.

• jaysprospectarilo - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:50 AM

No offence but think in the manner of warfare (which for lack of a better term is why sports are competitive… I think).
      It would make more sense to bankrupt your enemy of a valuable coveted resource in the future when the current tool or resource is becoming obsolete.
      I dunno, I liken trading into the division a smart asset. Sure you get your ass kicked in the short run, but damned if you don’t wind up laying the boots later on.

7. sdelmonte - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I’m trading for Lester. I’m giving the Sox all my old videotapes, a complete 1990 Topps MLB set, the entire run of the 80s Justice League, and two tickets to the Mets game of their choice. Then all I will need is 24 more players, a manager and GM, and a ballpark, and I am set!

• geejon - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:43 PM

You’re overpaying if you’re including Scarface and The Godfather I and II as part of your VHS tapes and def if you’re including the Frank Thomas card in the 1990 Topps set. :-p

• sdelmonte - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:57 PM

No, my old tapes are just things I taped off the air. And I will hold back the Thomas card for now.

8. mikhelb - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:46 PM

A TMZ “reporter” would be a better fit for this time of the season than actual “reporters” trying to guess based on their sources.

And I say “reporters” because as with “journalists”, most do their investigations from their office and do not know how to do a field work. They get lost without their sources. They are more like bloggers sitting in their room with no pants on, copying and pasting links in their posts.

9. jwbiii - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Only 24 hours until we start reading stories on all the guys who could be traded in August.— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) July 30, 2014

10. cincinata - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Lester to the O’s– Balderdash, I say

11. edelmanfanclub - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:06 PM

My guess was Pittsburgh. If they trade him to Baltimore, my only worry is him resigning there. However, if the red sox aren’t low balling him he’s likely to test free agency.

12. Eutaw's Finest - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:03 AM

I don’t think it happens. Simply put, Harvey is hurt and shutdown for the year, Bundy is struggling in rehab starts and Gausman is not available. I heard the Sox want Miguel Gonzalez in the trade BUT he’s not the centerpiece. To me that means they want a top prospect and I just don’t see the sox wanting a hurt or struggling prospect. Unless they lower their wish list orioles need to move on.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2866)