Jul 30, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez kicked off a minor-league rehab assignment Tuesday at Single-A, tossing 4.2 innings of one-run ball as he comes back from a sprained ankle suffered when he stepped in a hole in a parking lot.
Jimenez allowed five hits and three walks, so it’s unclear if the Orioles will be impressed enough by the uneven outing to activate him from the disabled list yet after indicating initially that they might take their sweet time doing so.
If he does stay on a rehab stint for another start at least the Orioles’ minor leaguers will be well fed. After last night’s game Single-A right-hander Nigel Nootbaar–who was a 12th-round pick last year–tweeted about the clubhouse spread provided by Jimenez:
Thanks to Ubaldo Jimenez for the steak and lobster for dinner tonight. #Orioles
— Nigel Nootbaar (@NigelNootbaar20) July 30, 2014
It’s customary for any veteran major leaguer visiting the minors to spring for a food upgrade in the clubhouse and Jimenez apparently did his part and then some in the first season of a four-year, $50 million deal. So they’d probably like for him to stick around in Single-A.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 25
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)