Jul 30, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Ubaldo Jimenez kicked off a minor-league rehab assignment Tuesday at Single-A, tossing 4.2 innings of one-run ball as he comes back from a sprained ankle suffered when he stepped in a hole in a parking lot.
Jimenez allowed five hits and three walks, so it’s unclear if the Orioles will be impressed enough by the uneven outing to activate him from the disabled list yet after indicating initially that they might take their sweet time doing so.
If he does stay on a rehab stint for another start at least the Orioles’ minor leaguers will be well fed. After last night’s game Single-A right-hander Nigel Nootbaar–who was a 12th-round pick last year–tweeted about the clubhouse spread provided by Jimenez:
Thanks to Ubaldo Jimenez for the steak and lobster for dinner tonight. #Orioles
— Nigel Nootbaar (@NigelNootbaar20) July 30, 2014
It’s customary for any veteran major leaguer visiting the minors to spring for a food upgrade in the clubhouse and Jimenez apparently did his part and then some in the first season of a four-year, $50 million deal. So they’d probably like for him to stick around in Single-A.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)